JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (partially found anime film; 2007)
|JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood|
|The film's theatrical poster.|
Given a limited theatrical release in February of 2007 (in Japan, exclusively) was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, a 90 minute anime feature film based on the first part of Hirohiko Araki's 1986-present manga series JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The film was produced by Studio APPP (with Junichi Hayama serving as director), with sound design by Tom Myers of Skywalker Sound, in celebration of both the 25th anniversary of Araki's career as a manga artist and the 20th anniversary of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure; the ending theme (which was also used to promote the film) was Japanese hip-hop band SOUL'd OUT's "Voodoo Kingdom".
Phantom Blood was only ever publicly shown in Japanese cinemas, before being promptly and indefinitely shelved; the reason behind this has never been officially revealed, though it is largely assumed to have been the result of Studio APPP neglecting to give a number of characters enough screen time (with one of the main characters, -and one of Hirohiko's favourites, at that- Speedwagon, only appearing in a single scene) and that the film's relatively short run time didn't do the story justice, leading to a negative response both on the part of fans and of the series' creator.
Notably, the shell of the film's now-defunct official website can still be accessed via The Wayback Machine, although most of the actual content within, unfortunately, appears to be inaccessible.
The film, to this day, remains unreleased, although roughly 18 minutes of footage have been made available, in the form of two trailers released before its theatrical debut, as well as a 16 minute collection of random clips (albeit with the dialogue removed, the dub instead consisting only of tracks from the film's official soundtrack), the latter of which surfaced online in 2012 after allegedly being given out to an Academy of Art University student by their professor (who apparently had connections to those who worked on the film) as part of a sound design project; the aforementioned 16 minute compilation is available via YouTube and can be seen below.
- JoJo's Bizarre Encyclopedia article on the film. Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.
- Tom Myers' biography page, via Skywalker Sound's official website. Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.
- Archive of the film's official website (only partially accessible), via The Wayback Machine; 08 Jan 2007. Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.
- SOUL'd OUT's "Voodoo Kingdom" (used as Phantom Blood’s ending theme), via YouTube; 21 Mar 2014. Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.
- The first of the film's trailers (Japanese, no subtitles), via YouTube; 20 Oct 2012. Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.
- The second of the film's trailers (Japanese, English subtitles), via YouTube; 22 May 2007 Last retrieved 09 Mar 2015.