Nickelodeon Japan (ニコロデオン) was a children's television station operated by Viacom International for the Japanese TV market.
Nick Japan launched in November 1998, and closed in 2009. The network aired many Nick classics in the Japanese language.
Despite the channel's closure, the official website still remains online.
List of programs broadcast by Nickelodeon Japan
Nickelodeon Japan broadcast many American programs from the 1990s and 2000s as part of its broadcast day. These programs were broadcast in the Japanese language, and include:
- SpongeBob SquarePants (スポンジボブ, Sponge Bob) - According to Encyclopedia SpongeBobia, SpongeBob first aired in Japan in 2002, three years after its debut in America.
- The Fairly OddParents (Oops! フェアリーペアレンツ, Oops! Fairy Parents) - As of March 2014, Fairly OddParents has been reran on the Disney Channel, similar to some countries airing the show on that same channel, or sister channel Disney XD, because Nickelodeon sold the international rights to the first few seasons to Nelvana and never bought them back.
- Dora the Explorer (ドーラといっしょに大冒険 Dora to Issho ni Daibouken)
- The Wonder Pets (ワンダー・ペッツ, Wonder Pets) - Wonder Pets actually won an award for Best Kids Program in Japan once.
- The Naked Brothers Band (ネイキッド・ブラザーズ・バンド, Naked Brothers Band)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (アバター 伝説の少年アン, Avatar - Densetsu no Shounen An)
- Drake & Josh (ドレイク&ジョシュ, Drake and Josh)
- The Backyardigans (Sing×3♪ぼくら、バックヤーディガンズ!, Singx3♪ We're, Backyardigans!) (As of 2012, Backyardigans has been reran on Disney Junior in Japan.)
- My Life as a Teenage Robot (ジェニーはティーン☆ロボット, Jenny The Teen Robot)
- All Grown Up (ラグラッツ・ザ・ティーンズ, Rugrats the Teens)
- ChalkZone (チョーク・ゾーン, Chalk Zone)
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (ジミー・ニュートロン 僕は天才発明家!, Jimmy Neutron: Boku wa Tensai Hatsumeika!) - Even though Jimmy Neutron began airing on Nick Japan circa 2005, Nick Japan's website didn't include the show on its TV show page until the 2007 rebranding.
- Invader Zim (インベーダー・ジム, Invader Zim)
- As Told by Ginger (ジンジャーの青春日記, Ginger no Seishun Nikki)
- Little Bill (リトル・ビル, Little Bill)
- 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd (ワンだー・エディー, One Eddie)
- The Amanda Show (アマンダ・ショー Amanda Show)
- Cousin Skeeter (いとこのスキーター, Itoko no Skeeter)
- Rocket Power (ロケット・パワー, Rocket Power)
- Romeo! (ロメオ!, Romeo!)
- The Mysterious Files of Shelby Woo (シェルビー·ウーの謎のファイル, Shelby Woo no Nazo no File)
- CatDog (キャットドッグ, Cat Dog)
- The Wild Thornberrys (ワイルド・ソーンベリーズ, Wild Thorn Berries)
- Oh Yeah! Cartoons! (オーイェイ・カートゥーンズ!, Oh Yay Cartoons!)
- The Angry Beavers (アングリー・ビーバーズ, Angry Beavers)
- The Journey of Allen Strange (アレン・ストレンジの不思議な旅 Allen Strange no Fushigi na Tabi)
- KaBlam! (カブラーム!, Kablam!)
- Kenan and Kel (キーナン&ケル, Kenan and Kel)
- Blue's Clues (ブルーズ・クルーズ, Blues Clues) - In 2006, a live show crossing over Hello Kitty with Blue's Clues was produced. Footage shows that only Blue appeared, while the other Blue's Clues characters are nowhere to be seen.
- Hey Arnold! (ヘイ・アーノルド！, Hey Arnold!)
- All That (オール・ザット, All That)
- The Adventures of Pete and Pete (ピートとピートの大冒険, Pito to Pito no Daibouken)
- Aaahh! Real Monsters! (ぎゃあ!!!リアル・モンスターズ, Gya!!! Real Monsters!)
- Allegra's Window (アレグラのとびら, Allegra no Tobira)
- Global GUTS (グローバル・ガッツ, Global Guts)
- Rocko's Modern Life (ロッコーのモダンライフ, Rocco's Modern Life)
- The Secret World of Alex Mack (おまかせアレックス, Omakase Alex)
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? (アー・ユー・アフレイド・オブ・ザ・ダーク?, Are You Afraid of the Dark?)
- Legends of the Hidden Temple (レジェンド～隠れ寺の伝説, Legend - Kakure Tera no Densetsu)
- Clarissa Explains it All (クラリッサ, Clarissa)
- Doug (ダグ, Doug)
- Rugrats (ラグラッツ, Rugrats)
- The Ren and Stimpy Show (レンとスティンピー, Ren and Stimpy)
- Eureeka's Castle (ユリーカのお城, Eureeka no Oshiro)
List of acquired programs broadcast by Nickelodeon Japan
- Muppets Tonight (マペット放送局, Muppets Tonight)
- Shikato (しかと, Shikato)
- Growing Up Creepie (クリーピー, Creepy)
- Yvon of the Yukon (ぼんじゅール?!イボン Bonjour!? Yvon)
- Naturally, Sadie (セイディ my ダイアリー, Sadie my Diary)
- Trollz (トロールス☆, Trolls)
- I Got A Rocket! (アイ・ガット・ア・ロケット!, I Got A Rocket!)
Nickelodeon Japan had three blocks, those were:
- Nick Jr. (ニック・ジュニア, Nick Junior) (Until 2005-ish, Nick Jr. was shown two times a day. They'd usually show one episode from the preschool shows on Nick Japan at the time. Around 2008, they'd start showing two episodes from these shows. It is unknown if any bumpers revolving around some of Nick Jr.'s mascots such as Face appeared during commercial breaks, if there were any)
- WOW! (This block aired various marathons of Nickelodeon shows, mainly Nicktoons, like Hey Arnold! or CatDog. The block had started around 2005 and ended in 2006, when Nickelodeon Japan updated it's look)
- 満タンweekend! and 満タンtime! (Full weekend!) (Full time!) (This isn't technically a block, but it would often air shows at a different time than usual)
Toys and Games
In Japan, the Nicktoons Unite! video game series were sold, but only Attack of the Toybots technically, which was available on Nintendo's Wii and DS systems. The first game, which title translates into "SpongeBob and Friends" was made exclusively for Japan. SpongeBob and Friends, released exclusively on the Nintendo DS, was more like Battle for Volcano Island, both games take place on a island and both games don't include Jimmy Neutron as a playable character.
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Creature from The Krusty Krab was also sold there for the Wii and PS2, as well as the Atlantis SquarePantis video game, released for DS.
Additionally, Nickelodeon's Gak and Floam products were sold in Japan as early as 1993. (There used to be 2 videos of the Gak and Floam commercials, but have since been removed due to a copyright issue.)
In 2009, on the same day that Nickelodeon internationally changed its logo, Nick Japan went off the air forever due to a decline in viewership. There's still footage and pictures of the Japanese version up on the Internet, however. The website is still up as well. A link for the website can be seen in the KaBlam! episode "KaFun!". There is also a video on YouTube of the shutdown.
There are two videos currently available that are being considered as possible footage of the shutdown.
First Shutdown Video "SpongeBob": Footage cuts out during a SpongeBob channel ID or Up Next bumper and goes immediately to color bars. (NOTE: This has proven to be fake)
Second Shutdown Video "Black/Color Bars": After a Channel ID, footage cuts to black with color bar noise, and then shortly afterward, the color bars come in, slightly darker than normal. The Nickelodeon bug remains on the screen. After a while, it cuts to static.
One or more of these videos may be simultaneously real, owing to differences in cable services/satellite services etc. The validity (or lack thereof) of any of these videos have not yet been proven definitively, as the matter is still being discussed.
EDIT: (Sept 15 2016) The reason as to why Nickelodeon JP has shut down is because Nickelodeon JP had an issue with certain cable channels.
Following the closure, an anime channel known as Animax began airing Nick shows on a block called NickTime, most notably SpongeBob SquarePants.
A few other Nick shows have migrated to other channels, such as Amazon.co.jp (the most usual site), NHK, Disney XD, and TV Tokyo.
The following Japanese dubs/web pages of Nickelodeon programs have been found. The shows listed down below all have pages on Nick Japan's website, except KaBlam!.: Animation:
- The Penguins of Madagascar: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/penguins/
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/tmnt/
- SpongeBob SquarePants: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/spongebob/
- The Fairly Odd Parents: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/fairy_parents/index.html
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron - Boy Genius: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/jimmy/index.html
- Avatar - The Last Airbender: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/avatar/index.html
- Rugrats: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/rugrats/index.html
- All Grown Up: http://www.nickjapan.com/programs/rugrats_teen/index.html
- My Life as a Teenage Robot: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/teenage_robot/index.html
- Invader Zim: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/invader_zim/
- "As Told by Ginger" http://www.nickjapan.com/character/ginger/
- "Chalk Zone" http://www.nickjapan.com/character/chalk_zone/
- Hey Arnold!: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/arnold/
- "Rocket Power": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/rocket_power/
- "The Wild Thornberrys": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/wild_thornberrys/
- "The Angry Beavers": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/angry_beavers/
- "CatDog": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/cat_dog/
- "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/real_monsters/
- KaBlam!: https://www.youtube.com/user/Kutsushitanecosha/videos (includes some Action League videos)
- The Ren & Stimpy Show: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/ren_and_stimpy/
- Dora the Explorer: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/dora/index.html
- The Wonder Pets: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/wonderpets/index.html
- Blue's Clues: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/blues_clues/index.html
- "Little Bill": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/little_bill/
- "Victorious": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/victorious/
- "iCarly": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/icarly/
- Drake & Josh: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/drake_josh/index.html
- The Naked Brothers Band: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/naked_brothers_band/index.html
- The Amanda Show: http://www.nickjapan.com/character/amanda/index.html
- "Romeo": http://www.nickjapan.com/character/romeo/