Shin Chan (Vitello and Phuuz English adaptations, 2002-2004)
Before FUNimation Entertainment attempted to market Crayon Shin Chan in the US in 2006 (with their dub lasting three seasons), two previous attempts at English adaptations had been in existence.
The first dub, produced through 2001-2002 by Vitello Productions and Lacey Production, shortened the "Vitello dub". Shortened to just "Shin Chan" (as the later dubs would be), this version was never aired in the US, but did air in the UK through 2002-2003 on their version of Fox Kids. The dub was later relegated to only shorts on Jetix, but the show was fully removed from the channel after Jetix rebranded to Disney XD. It also aired on Fox Kids in Australia and on RTÉ in the Republic of Ireland. This dub contained many famous voice actors that had done work in Western animation, such as Grey DeLisle (who had her first voice acting role in it). Although the dub was heavily censored and localized, Shin Chan's infamous Buri Buri dance was still in the show.
52 episodes that included 156 segments (episodes lasted 21 minutes and included 3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes) have been produced of the Vitello dub. 125 complete segments of the dub have been found in English, and of 4 segments only a part have been found in English. 60 segments of the Vitello dub were released on Region 4 (Australia) DVDs, but they are now all out of print. All DVDs except Volume 4, which contains one completely and one partly missing segment, have been found and uploaded.
In 2004, Phuuz Entertainment gained the license to the series and produced a new English adaptation, featuring a different pool of Los Angeles-based voice actors. None of this dub was ever released on DVD, and none segments have appeared on the internet. At least 78 episodes (234 segments) have been produced of the Phuuz dub, of 36 segments the English name is known. This dub was pitched to Adult Swim in 2005, but was rejected on basis of it sounding too "childish" for the block. After Phuuz's license expired, FUNimation acquired the rights and their dub was approved.
A fourth English dub that was close to the original was commissioned by LUK Internacional in 2015 but was cancelled after the whole production was completed.
- 1 Changes from the Japanese original
- 2 Staff
- 3 Segments of the Vitello dub
- 4 DVDs of the Vitello dub
- 5 Segments of the Phuuz dub
- 6 Sources
Changes from the Japanese original
This are some examples of edits by Vitello.
- The Vitello and Phuuz opening used scenes from the Japanese openings 1 up to and including 6.
- Shinnosuke's genitals were censored, in the original he called them "Mr. Elephant" and did the "Mr. Elephant dance". Example 1
- Most of the time Japanese was replaced with English, example 1, 2
- Removed Misae slapping Shinnosuke but forgot to remove the mark.
- The hometown of the Nohara's was changed from Kasukabe to Kazhu, example 1
- Changed green tea to lime slime soda in 21c.
- In 20c at 3:06 where Cosmo is kissing his mother, her face has actually been edited in by Vitello. In the original he was actually dreaming about being breast fed by her, hence why he was sucking on Shin's face.
- In 06b they changed the dialogue in the beginning, Enzo saying that he threatened teachers wasn't in the original. And they changed a trip to a hot spring to a trip to Paris.
- In 06c Miss Uma's risque comment at 1:16 about the New Years Eve party wasn't in the original Japanese version, Vitello actually added that part in complete with added in lip flaps.
The following episodes are available both as original Japanese version with English subtitles and as English Vitello dub:
- 197a/20a LET’S GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN! / I Climb a Mountain
- 250c/39c SLEEPING IN THE HALLWAY! / We Sleep In The Hallway
- 251a/35a HIMAWARI GETS DRUNK?? / Daisy Gets Buzzed
- 251b/35b THE THREE-EYED DOG! / The 3-eyed Dog
- 251c/35c DAD FIGHTS SLEEP! / Who Needs Sleep?
- 255a/43a A LITTLE BONUS GOES A LONG WAY! / The Blowfish Bonus
- 255b/43b MY FIRST FUGU! / Fugu Whogu
- 255c/43c THE WANDERING DRAGON! / Shin vs The Kung Fu Kid
Censorship by Jetix UK
These edits were done by Jetix UK themselves and therefore didn't appear anywhere else.
- 04b - edited that finally scene where Shin says "I'm your biggest fan!" They slowed the clip down to omit the part where Shin dances with the fan between his rear end.
- 04c - at 1:15 the flash back was edited to showcase the part where Uma says "Who wants some dance lessons?" And at 5:20 the line where Shin said "I've got two months to live" was cut out.
- 07b - cut out the part at 4:00 where the repairman says "it looks like someone beat the crap out of it".
- 08a - cut out part of Mitzi's dialogue at 2:22 where she says "starting with these little minions"
- 10a - the stripper clip was cut.
Both dubs featured many name changes for the characters, although in some cases they used different options than what FUNimation would later use.
- Shinnosuke's name was shortened to "Shin"
- Misae became "Mitsy" and Hiroshi became "Harry"
- Ginnosuke became "Gary"
- Himawari became "Daisy"
- Shiro became "Lucky"
- Masae Koyama became "Minnie"
- Toru Kazama became "Cosmo", with his name loosely based off his surname
- Nene Sakurada became "Nini"
- Moeko Sakurada became "Ruby"
- Masao Sato became "Max"
- The principal Bunta Takakura/"Encho-sensei" became "Principal Enzo"
- The teachers Midori Yoshinaga and Ume Matsuzaka were renamed "Miss Dori" and "Miss Uma", with the names loosely sourced from their Japanese names
- Action Mask became "The Masked Muchacho"
- Nanako Oohara became "Miss Bono"
- Usuto Yoshii became "Marty Flang"
- Junichi Ishizaka became "Ricky"
- Uyiko Norohash became "Miss Nasty"
- Nakamura Komatshi became "Miss Poppi"
- Yoshirin Hatogaya became "Luis"
- Micchi Hatogaya became "Gidgy"
- Kuriyo Urima became "Hishi"
- Keiko Honda became "Kai"
- Satoshi Honda became "Jim"
- Buriburizaemon became "Big-a-zoid"
- Kantam Robo became "Psycho Robotico"
- Ai Saotome became "Sally" in Phuuz's dub
- Masumi Ageo became "Miss Agnes" in Phuuz's dub
- Picasso Ogawa became "Tubasso" in Phuuz's dub
- Shin Nohara, Mitsy Nohara: Kath Soucie
- Harry Nohara, Bo: Eric Loomis
- Daisy Nohara, Max: Russi Taylor
- Cosmo, Miss Uma: Grey DeLisle
- Nini, Miss Dori: Anndi McAfee
- Principal Enzo, Masked Muchacho: Patrick Fraley
- Shin Nohara: Diane Michelle
- Mitsy Nohara: Julie Maddalena
- Harry Nohara: Peter Doyle
- Cosmo: Hope Levy
- Max: Barbara Goodson
- Bo: Richard Cansino
- Nini: Michelle Ruff
- Miss Dori: Cindy Robinson
- Lucky: Michael Sorich
- Producer: Paul Vitello
- Associate producer: Cheryl Pollak
- Written by Leslie Ray
- Dialogue Director: Paul Vitello
- Dialogue Editor: Larry Ellis
- Dialogue Recording: R.D. Floyd
- Script coordinator: Reneé Weber
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer
- Music editors: Don Rodenbach, Blake Moulin
- Offline Editor: Janet "Lime" Leimenstoll
- Online Editor: Mark Needham
- Post production coordinator: Kevin Buck
- Post production accountant: Toni Koffman
- Assistant editor: Jose Moreira
- Graphics: Glen Darcey
- Sound editors: Thomas Chan, Larry Ellis, R.D. Floyd, Zack Fagan
- Re-recording mixer: Tennyson Sebastian III
- Executive producer for the international series: Daisuke Dan Yoshikawa
- Producer: Ken Duer, Yves Chicha, Sook Waiquamdee
- Written by: Leslie Ray
- Script Translation: Yurika Dennis
- Script Coordinator: Rebecca Laurin
- Adaption: Darlene Waddington
- English ADR Direction: Michael Sorich
- ADR Recording Enigneers: Sean Foye, Skye Lewin
- English ADR Editor: Gina Nuccio
- Music Editors: Gina Nuccio, Thanos Kazakos
- SFX Editor: Brandon Howlett
- Re-Recording Mixer: Thanos Kazakos
- Music Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer, John Loeffler
- Theme song by: John Loeffler, John Siegler
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Off-Line Editor: Jason Kothmann
- On-Line Editor: Alex Agoston
- Graphics: Alex Agoston
- Post Production Supervisor: Gerard Jakubowicz
- Post Production Services Provided By: Media Concepts
Segments of the Vitello dub
52 episodes that included 156 segments (episodes lasted 21 minutes and included 3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes) have been produced of the Vitello dub. 125 complete segments of the dub have been found in English, and only a part of 'Going To A Haunted House' (full fragment in Spanish)', 'Playing Tag' (full fragment in Spanish), 'I Jump-Start The Baby' (full fragment in Spanish) and 'The Tortoise And The Hare-Bags' (full fragment in Spanish) have been found in English.
The order of episodes Vitello released them in is not in the chronological order aired in Japan, in episode 29 Shin brings his classmates to visit his newborn sister, episode 30 shows the baby coming home from her birth in the hospital and in episode 52 it was revealed that Shin was going to have a little sister.
Download of all found segments (including the ones on DVD) (click on 'Download as ZIP' to download everything at once)
DVDs of the Vitello dub
The rating on this DVD is actually inaccurate; Shin Chan volume 2 received a "PG" by the Australian Classification Board for "Mature themes, Sexual references, Low level coarse language".
Volume 4 (MISSING)
This is the only DVD that hasn't been fully uploaded, therefore we are completely missing 'An Errand To The Post Office', we have only a part of 'Going To A Haunted House' and have the following fragments only in VHS quality 'Mom Goes On Strike', 'Who's Eisenhower', 'Dad's Secret Admirer', 'Leaf Me Alone', 'The Late Great Me', 'Mom's A Shopaholic' and 'I Can't Sleep'. If someone comes across this DVD on eBay or has it, please upload it.
Jetix Magazine issue 4 DVD
The DVD given away with Jetix Magazine issue 4 in the UK included episode 27.
Daily Express Fox Kids promo DVD
One of the three Fox Kids promo DVDs given away with the UK newspaper Daily Express on May 10, 2004 included a Shin Chan DVD with one episode of Shin Chan.
The Sun Fox Kids promo DVDs
From September 11 to October 2, 2004? and from November 17, to November 22, 2003 free Fox Kids promo DVDs were given away with UK newspaper The Sun. This included two Shin Chan DVDs with two episodes of Shin Chan each. They contained episode 4, 9, 13 and 28.
Segments of the Phuuz dub
At least 78 episodes (234 segments) have been produced of the Phuuz dub. Of 36 segments the English name is known, the other segments names are from the German dub which was a translation of the Phuuz dub.
While there are no fragments of the Phuuz dub available in English, there are audio files available:
- Shin Chan (Diane Michelle)
- Harry Nohara (Peter Doyle)
- Mitzi Nohara (Julie Maddalena)
- Miss Dori (Anndi McAfee)
- Früh krümmt sich, was ein Häkchen wird + Hummeln im Herzen + Liebe vergeht - Hunger besteht!
- Pinsel und Farbe gibt keine Narbe! + Voll von der Rolle + Ein Gläschen zuviel hat immer Stil
- Pops pfeift aus dem letzten Loch + Porentief eingeseift + Mitsys süßes Geheimnis
- Ein Samurai ist auch dabei + Kein Knopf in der Hose + Es bläst und bläst
- Echt abgefahren! + Begegnung der dritten Art + Der Popel-Literat
- Nicht lang schnacken, Kopf in’n Nacken + Chaos auf der Bowlingbahn + Mistkröte im Afrolook
- Tierisch was los! + Ein Po geht auf Sendung' + 'Nicht mehr ganz dicht
- Ganz schön aufgeweckt! + Nach Shin die Sintflut + Robben-Poppen
- Zu heiß gebadet! + Der Comic-Clan + Muchacho macht’s!
- Wer schreibt, sündigt nicht + Cool im Pool + Kindermund tut Wahrheit kund
- Der grüne Horror aus dem Garten + Kampf den Kippen + Uma, der einsame Puma
- Mit allen Wassern gewaschen + In Bad und WC ist alles okay! + Erst die Blamage - dann die Massage
- Backzwangs Brechmittel + Ich bin ein Hund ...na und? + Das Zickenrennen
- Shin Chan schießt den Vogel ab + Der Kitzel-Kampf + Der Paprika-Kasper
- Racker am Ruder! + Dumm gelaufen, Max! + Das Monster-Nudel-Menü
- Doofe tragen keine Karos + Männer sind alle Verbrecher ... + Au, Backe!
- Spiel und Spaß mit Mausi + Kampf gegen die Grippe + Husten, Schnupfen, Heiterkeit
- Shin Chan auf Tuchfühlung + Der Schlaf der Geächteten + Sternbild Wildsau ...
- Volle Kanne Kalligraphie! + Bum-Bada-Bum mit Fanny + Dach-Hasi
- Alles frisch bei Tisch + Der Weg ist das Ziel + Außer Lesen nichts gewesen
- Schrullen am Steuer + Auf alle Fälle Vollkasko + Mitten ins Herz
- Die maskierte Muchacha + Das Anti-Brutalo-Kommando + Liebe macht blöd
- Fetter Sumo-Fun! + Ein Schlückchen in Ehren + Alles schläft, einsam wacht
- Alles kalter Kaffee + Das ist ’ne Brotzeit + Heimwerker des Horrors
- Der Pate auf Reisen + Ein Mega-Missverständnis + Dubiose Direktoren
- Kaufrausch vom Feinsten + Einfach zum Piepen! + Ein Video für Papa
- Operation "Nestflüchter" + Die Stimme aus dem Bauch + Bummbumm Shin Chan
- Angeschmiert + Umsonst ist teuer + Aus der Art geschlagen (Dutch: Dotty, De Schoolverlater! (translation: Dotty, The School Leaver!))
- Frohes Neues! + Knödelhuber junior + Skizirkus
- Ich bin ein Held (Dutch: Ik Ben Een Held! (translation: I Am A Hero!)) + Ruhm verblasst + Wem’s schmeckt ... (Dutch: Ik Kan Koken! (translation: I Can Cook!))
- Das Eis ist heiß! + Wer hat hier die Tollwut? + Camping-Freuden
- Shin-Lizzie + Schöne Melonung ... + Melone à la Muchacho
- Nudelsuppen-Weitwurf (Dutch: Ik Eet Noodlesoep! (translation: I Eat Noodle Soup!)) + Der Pirouetten-König (Dutch: Ik Kan Schaatsen! (translation: I Can Ice Skate!)) + Saumagen-Schmerzen... (Dutch: Ik Red Een Huwelijk! (translation: I Rescue A Marriage!))
- Kuck mal, wer da gackert! (Dutch: Een Nieuw Kippetje Op School! (translation: A New Chicken At School!)) + Ein Tag, der sich gewaschen hat + So eine schöne Aussicht! (Dutch: Kom Het Nieuwe Appartement Bekijken! (translation: Come See The New Apartment!))
- New Summer Clothes ! (Portugese, German) + Wanna Eat Meat ! (Portugese, Dutch, German) + A Day at the Races ! (Portugese, German)
- Lang, lang ist’s her + Hausbesuch + Zum Nachtisch Shin
- Der Teufel auf drei Rädern (Dutch: De Driewieler Race! (translation: Tricycle Race!)) + Kaviar à Gogo + Steig in den Teig!
- I Get a Babysitter ! (Portugese, German) + A Picnic Barbecque ! (Portugese, German) + Pop's Pooped ! (Portugese, German)
- Der Sandkasten-Prinz + Sumo-Ringkampf zu Hause + Wirbelsturm Mitsy
- I Play Dodgeball ! (Portugese, German) + We Get Ready for the Fleamarket ! (Portugese, German) + We Go to the Fleamarket ! (Portugese, German)
- Mom's Part-Time Job ! (Portugese, German) + Mom's Got a Girlfriend ! (Portugese, German) + I Make Soup ! (Portugese, German)
- Mitsy auf Hochtouren + Reizend heizend + Pfannkuchen fatal (Dutch: Een Veel Betere Moeder! (translation: A Much Better Mother!))
- Schnuller-Alarm + Windelweich + Zu gut versteckt!
- Ein Piekser für Daisy (Dutch: Daisy Krijgt Een Prikje! (translation: Daisy Gets an Injection!)) + Mein Baby Mini-Mitz (Dutch: Ik Pas Op Mini Mitsy! (translation: I Beware Mini Mitsy!)) + Klotz am Bein kommt selten allein (Dutch: Babysitten Met Pap! (translation: Babysitting With Dad!))
- I'm a Model ! (Portugese, Dutch, German) + I Have My Own Bank Account ! (Portugese, Dutch, German) + I Stay Up for New Year's Eve ! (Portugese, German)
- Mitsy hat eine Lobhudelattacke + Ein Lottoleben + Poppy dreht durch
- We Have a Snowball Fight ! (Portugese, German) + We're All Sick ! (Portugese, German) + Uma's Gonna Quit ! (Portugese, German)
- The Crane, the Penguin, and the Little Brown-Nose ! (Portugese, Dutch, German) + Killer Noodles ! (Portugese, Dutch, German) + The Rain's a Pain ! (Portugese, German)
- Shin-Chan-Klein, ging allein + Hohn in Ton + Vergeben und vergessen
- Das Duell der Großväter + Das Duell der Großväter Teil Zwei (Dutch: Een Dubbele Opa Dag! (translation: A Double Grandpa's Day!)) + Shin, der Boss
- Wir zelten zum Glück selten + Das große Gruseln + Melone ist nicht ohne (Dutch: Veel Gehannes Om Een Meloen! (translation: Much Fiddling Because Of A Melon!))
- Shin macht Faxen + Tubassos Kritzel-Periode (Dutch: Ik Plaag Tubasso! (translation: I Tease Tubasso!)) + Huckepack (Dutch: Ik Heb M’n Been Gebroken! (translation: I Have Broken My Leg!))
- Die Abi-Karaoke-Party + Leben wie am Nordpol + Paps blitzt in der Herrenabteilung
- I Missed the Bus Again ! (Portugese, German) + We're All Late ! (Portugese, German) + Goin' Crazy with Daisy ! (Portugese, German)
- Shin Chan, ein Golfnaturtalent + Die Po-Brigade + Tofu-Invasion (Dutch: Ik Kan Geen Tofu Meer Zien! (translation: I Can Not See More Tofu!))
- Zum Nachtisch: Rache + Ein Antrag zum Dessert (Dutch: Dori Heeft Een Eetafspraakje! (translation: Dori Has An A Date!)) + Auf den Zahn gefühlt (Dutch: Pap Gaat Naar De Tandarts! (translation: Dad Goes To The Dentist!))
- Heißsporn kalt erwischt (Dutch: Ik Post Een Brief! (translation: I Post A Letter!)) + Fiebermessen - Donuts essen (Dutch: Hier Met Die Donuts! (translation: Here With These Donuts!)) + Teurer Sparversuch
- Verstrickt (Dutch: Ik Kan Breien! (translation: I Can Knit!)) + Zugzwang (Dutch: Zweten In De Spitstrein! (translation: Sweating In The Rush Hour Train!)) + Muchacho-Fans unter sich (Dutch: Bij Papa Op Het Werk! (translation: With Dad At Work!))
- Reptilien-Alarm! + Nächtliche Wanderung + Mega-Spaß im Muchacho-Land
- Vollkommen von der Rolle + Super Shin und Roller Girl + Ein fettes Geschäft
- Teure Tickets! + Bahnfahren macht Spaß! + Ohne Mitsy geht’s auch...
- Mitsy's Mis-steak ! (Portugese, German) + Shinny Baba and the Thieves ! (Portugese, German) + Fixing Up Lucky's House ! (Portugese, German)
- Kein guter Plan + Mitsys Notgroschen + Ein Rendezvous mit Fräulein Bono
- Hundsgemein und pudelwohl + Aus der Klapse in die Klapse + Denn zum küssen sind sie da
- Ein Traum fährt gegen den Baum + Shin Chan, kleb an! + Ein Fall für den Techniker
- Auf die Torte, fertig, los! + Urlaub auf Balkonien + In der Hitze des Gefechts
- Die Rückkehr des Doktor Zahnstein + Keine Gnade für Dirty Harry + Im Eiswahn
- Ich wünsche mir... + Der Geist in der Thermoskanne + Der Katzensitter
- Na dann: Guten Flug! + Kartoffelkopf gedeihe! + Nur für Mädchen?
- Brüderchen und Schwesterchen + Der Stein der Weisen + Bis auf die Knochen blamiert
- Killer Angel vs. Babezilla ! (Portugese, German) + Cosmo's Best Buddies ! (Portugese, German) + Assault and Batteries ! (Portugese, German)
- Breakin' the Ice ! (Portugese, German) + Girl Gang in Disguise ! (Portugese, German) + Daisy's Secret Stash ! (Portugese, German)
- Me and My Posse ! (Portugese, German) + I Feel Pretty ! (Portugese, German) + The Cupid-Killer Curse ! (Portugese, German)
- Der alte Charmeur + Shin wird schön + Mit Harry im Weltall
- Unschuldig schuldig + Neues Herrchen gesucht + Vertigo im Kindergarten
- Geschiedene Geschwister + Superhund Lucky + Enzo wird das Kind schon schaukeln
- Harry im Himmel + Das große Pennen + Cosmos Fernsehgöttin
- Liebe macht blöd + Sallys neues Opfer + Der Preis der Liebe
The Latin American Spanish dub (a translation of the Vitello dub) kept the title cards in English, therefore the English names of missing fragments of the Vitello dub are known.
The European Portugese dub (a translation of the Vitello dub and later the Phuuz dub) kept the title cards in English, therefore the English names of some missing fragments of the Phuuz dub are known.
Thanks to Umjammerlammy, GreenYoshi93, Anon316, Ecio, Sunstorm, Arian, PannenkoekenNL and others that are forgotten for their contributions to this search.