Shin Chan (partially found Vitello and Phuuz English dub of anime series; 2002-2004)
|The show's logo; this was later used in other countries.|
Before FUNimation Entertainment attempted to market Crayon Shin-chan in the US in 2006 (with their dub lasting three seasons), two previous attempts at English adaptations had been in existence.
The first dub, produced through 2001-2002 by Vitello Productions and Lacey Production, shortened the "Vitello dub". Shortened to just "Shin Chan" (as the later dubs would be), this version was never aired in the US, but did air in the UK through 2002-2003 on their version of Fox Kids. The dub was later relegated to only shorts on Jetix, but the show was fully removed from the channel after Jetix rebranded to Disney XD. It also aired on Fox Kids in Australia and on RTÉ in the Republic of Ireland. This dub contained many famous voice actors that had done work in Western animation, such as Grey DeLisle (who had her first voice acting role in it). Although the dub was heavily censored and localized, Shin Chan's infamous Buri Buri dance was still in the show.
52 episodes that included 156 segments (episodes lasted 21 minutes and included 3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes) have been produced of the Vitello dub. 125 complete segments of the dub have been found in English, and of 4 segments only a part have been found in English. 60 segments of the Vitello dub were released on Region 4 (Australia) DVDs, but they are now all out of print. All DVDs except Volume 4, which contains one completely and one partly missing segment, have been found and uploaded.
In 2004, Phuuz Entertainment gained the license to the series and produced a new English adaptation, featuring a different pool of Los Angeles-based voice actors. None of this dub was ever released on DVD, and none segments have appeared on the internet. At least 78 episodes (234 segments) have been produced of the Phuuz dub, of 36 segments the English name is known. This dub was pitched to Adult Swim in 2005, but was rejected on basis of it sounding too "childish" for the block. After Phuuz's license expired, FUNimation acquired the rights and their dub was approved. A fourth English dub that was close to the original was commissioned by LUK Internacional in 2015 and released in 2016.
- 1 Staff
- 2 Segments of the Vitello dub
- 3 DVDs of the Vitello dub
- 4 Segments of the Phuuz dub (MISSING)
- 5 Sources
- Shin Nohara, Mitsy Nohara: Kath Soucie
- Harry Nohara, Bo: Eric Loomis
- Daisy Nohara, Max: Russi Taylor
- Cosmo, Miss Uma: Grey DeLisle
- Nini, Miss Dori: Anndi McAfee
- Principal Enzo, Masked Muchacho: Patrick Fraley
- Shin Nohara: Diane Michelle
- Mitsy Nohara: Julie Maddalena
- Harry Nohara: Peter Doyle
- Cosmo: Hope Levy
- Max: Barbara Goodson
- Bo: Richard Cansino
- Nini: Michelle Ruff
- Miss Dori: Cindy Robinson
- Lucky: Michael Sorich
- Producer: Paul Vitello
- Associate producer: Cheryl Pollak
- Written by Leslie Ray
- Dialogue Director: Paul Vitello
- Dialogue Editor: Larry Ellis
- Dialogue Recording: R.D. Floyd
- Script coordinator: Reneé Weber
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer
- Music editors: Don Rodenbach, Blake Moulin
- Offline Editor: Janet "Lime" Leimenstoll
- Online Editor: Mark Needham
- Post production coordinator: Kevin Buck
- Post production accountant: Toni Koffman
- Assistant editor: Jose Moreira
- Graphics: Glen Darcey
- Sound editors: Thomas Chan, Larry Ellis, R.D. Floyd, Zack Fagan
- Re-recording mixer: Tennyson Sebastian III
- Executive producer for the international series: Daisuke Dan Yoshikawa
- Producer: Ken Duer, Yves Chicha, Sook Waiquamdee
- Written by: Leslie Ray
- Script Translation: Yurika Dennis
- Script Coordinator: Rebecca Laurin
- Adaption: Darlene Waddington
- English ADR Direction: Michael Sorich
- ADR Recording Enigneers: Sean Foye, Skye Lewin
- English ADR Editor: Gina Nuccio
- Music Editors: Gina Nuccio, Thanos Kazakos
- SFX Editor: Brandon Howlett
- Re-Recording Mixer: Thanos Kazakos
- Music Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer, John Loeffler
- Theme song by: John Loeffler, John Siegler
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Off-Line Editor: Jason Kothmann
- On-Line Editor: Alex Agoston
- Graphics: Alex Agoston
- Post Production Supervisor: Gerard Jakubowicz
- Post Production Services Provided By: Media Concepts
Segments of the Vitello dub
52 episodes that included 156 segments (episodes lasted 21 minutes and included 3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes) have been produced of the Vitello dub. 125 complete segments of the dub have been found in English, and only a part of 'Going To A Haunted House' (full fragment in Spanish)', 'Playing Tag' (full fragment in Spanish), 'I Jump-Start The Baby' (full fragment in Spanish) and 'The Tortoise And The Hare-Bags' (full fragment in Spanish) have been found in English.
The order of episodes Vitello released them in is not in the chronological order aired in Japan, in episode 29 Shin brings his classmates to visit his newborn sister, episode 30 shows the baby coming home from her birth in the hospital and in episode 52 it was revealed that Shin was going to have a little sister.
Download of all found segments (including the ones on DVD) (click on 'Download as ZIP' to download everything at once)
DVDs of the Vitello dub
Volume 1 includes episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Volume 2 includes episodes 5, 6, 7 and 8.
The rating on this DVD is actually inaccurate; Shin Chan volume 2 received a "PG" by the Australian Classification Board for "Mature themes, Sexual references, Low level coarse language".
Volume 3 includes episodes 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Volume 4 (MISSING)
This is the only DVD that hasn't been fully uploaded, therefore we are completely missing 'An Errand To The Post Office', we have only a part of 'Going To A Haunted House' and have the following fragments only in VHS quality 'Mom Goes On Strike', 'Who's Eisenhower', 'Dad's Secret Admirer', 'Leaf Me Alone', 'The Late Great Me', 'Mom's A Shopaholic' and 'I Can't Sleep'. If someone comes across this DVD on eBay or has it, please upload it.
Volume 5 includes episodes 17, 18, 19 and 20.
Jetix Magazine issue 4 DVD
The DVD given away with Jetix Magazine issue 4 in the UK included episode 27.
Jetix Magazine issue 5 DVD
The DVD given away with Jetix Magazine issue 5 in the UK included a part of episode 11a 'Let's Go Fishing' and a part of an another episode.
Daily Express Fox Kids/Jetix promo DVD
One of the three Fox Kids/Jetix promo DVDs given away with the UK newspaper Daily Express on May 10, 2004 was a Shin Chan DVD with one episode of Shin Chan.
The Sun Fox Kids promo DVD 2003
From November 17, to November 22, 2003 free Fox Kids promo DVDs were given away with UK newspaper The Sun. This included one Shin Chan DVD with episode 4 and 9.
The Sun Jetix on Fox Kids promo DVD 2004
From September 11 to October 2, 2004 free Jetix on Fox Kids promo DVDs were given away with UK newspaper The Sun. This included one Shin Chan DVD with episode 13 and 28.
Segments of the Phuuz dub (MISSING)
At least 78 episodes (234 segments) have been produced of the Phuuz dub. Of 45 segments the English name is known, the other segments names are from the German dub which was a translation of the Phuuz dub.
There is no footage of the Phuuz dub available in English, only three audio files:
The Latin American Spanish dub (a translation of the Vitello dub) kept the title cards in English, therefore the English names of missing fragments of the Vitello dub are known.
The European Portugese dub (a translation of the Vitello dub and later the Phuuz dub) kept the title cards in English, therefore the English names of some missing fragments of the Phuuz dub are known.
- Download of complete VHS rips and other episodes that are already split and available above
- DVD Volume 1 download
- DVD Volume 2 download
- DVD Volume 3 download
- DVD Volume 5 download
- Jetix Magazine issue 4 DVD download
- Jetix Magazine issue 5 DVD shorts download
- The Sun Shin Chan Promo DVD 2003 download
- The Sun Jetix on Fox Kids promo DVD 2004 download
- Latin American Spanish source for the episode order of the Vitello dub
- German episode list of Shin Chan
- Fox Kids Europe Acquires Licensing Rights To Animé Property Shin Chan
- Top-rating Japanese series Shin Chan to launch on Fox Kids UK
- Fox Kids DVDs FREE with The Daily Express
- Fox Kids U.K. Offers Free DVDs Under The Sun
- Get FREE Fox Kids DVDs!
- Fox Kids Teams Up With The Sun For Cartoon Promotion
- Fox Kids UK links with The Sun newspaper for Shin Chan promotion
- Top-rating anime series lead Fox Kids UK's autumn 2002 line-up (fourth quarter of 2002 - UK launch of Shin Chan Series 2)
- Forum that provided several episodes
Thanks to Umjammerlammy, GreenYoshi93, Anon316, Ecio, Sunstorm, Arian, PannenkoekenNL and others that are forgotten for their contributions to this search.