The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (partially found Shonen Ace first manga adaptation of light novel; 2004)
|The only volume of the 2004 manga.|
In 2004, the first manga adaptation of the Haruhi Suzumiya light novel series launched in the Japanese manga magazine Shonen Ace.
This first adaptation made several changes from the original light novel, often without approval from the author; Kyon was portrayed as much less cynical and more outgoing/friendly towards Haruhi, Haruhi sexually harasses Mikuru less then she does in the light novels, etc.
According to the Haruhi Wiki, the chapter stories were as follows:
- Chapter 1: Kyon inspires Haruhi to create her club, the "SOS Brigade".
- Chapter 2: Kyon learns about Nagato's true identity; Haruhi gets a computer for the club.
- Chapter 3: While out with Mikuru, Kyon learns about her true identity and Haruhi's power.
- Chapter 4: Kyon goes back in time to meet a younger Haruhi.
- Chapter 5: The gang decides to play baseball.
Due to the author's dislike of the original adaptation, it only lasted one volume of five chapters, and was canceled in the same year from Shonen Ace. Another manga adaptation began publication in the same magazine in November 2005; this version was much more successful, and is the version you will find on online sites and in bookstores worldwide. The author has also officially referred to the 2005 version as the "first" version of the manga, effectively disowning/removing the 2004 version from canon.
An online Haruhi fan site at one point offered a raw Japanese version of the volume on Megaupload; however, this download disappeared when Megaupload was raided by the FBI, and has not appeared anywhere else online. The handful of images that are available from the 2004 manga also come from this Haruhi fan site.