WhirlGirl (partially found animated Web series; late 1990s-early 2000s)
|An advertising poster.|
WhirlGirl was a superhero web series that was animated with Flash and featured on Showtime's website in the late 1990s to early 2000s, beginning in 1997.
It had the distinction of being the first web series to have a regular schedule, as well as being the first to have a national ad campaign around it.
There were at least 100 episodes, and some are still accessible through archive.org, but many are lost (their pages don't seem to have been archived).
Chapters 6 and 7 were on an abandoned sample episodes page. A summer special was also saved in a different directory on the official website. However, both of these were removed during the site's move to Tumblr in 2016. Most of the older and newer episodes remain missing.
It is unknown if any of the people who worked on the show, including Visionary Media founder David B. Williams, still have copies of the shorts.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20000815061033/http://www.sho.com/whirlgirl/ (The longest list of episodes, though possibly incomplete, is accessible if you go to this address, click "vintage," and then click along archive.org's archive dates for the page until you get to the latest one. For some reason, trying to go directly there via the Wayback Machine doesn't seem to be possible.)
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010223211701/http://sho.com/whirlgirl/adventures/bmframeset_ep4.cfm (This lists a few episodes in which the series crossed over with another series.)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsrWvLqPdkc A trailer for the Halloween special.
- http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://whirlgirl.com/* All of the materials saved from the WhirlGirl website before its redesign.
- https://vimeo.com/153751988 Compilation reel of various action scenes from the show.