Anne of Green Gables (lost TV mini-series; 1972)
Anne of Green Gables is a 1972 made-for-television British mini-series directed by Joan Craft and starring Kim Braden, Barbara Hamilton, Elliott Sullivan and Jan Francis. It is an adaptation of the classic novel of the same name by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Its run consisted of five 45-minute-long episodes, all currently lost.
It appears to have been well-received on its original airing. Despite this, it is ultimately believed to have fallen victim to the BBC's purge of serials from the 1970's that they deemed to have little commercial value. There are rumors, however, that Anne was released on Betamax videotape before this happened. Given that considerable BBC media from this era - including several early episodes of Doctor Who - has since been found in private hands, there may be home recordings of this miniseries still out there as well.
Little other information is available, and no footage or promotional material has been preserved save for several screenshots and what appear to be promotional stills collected on the IMDb page.
Anne of Green Gables Media
- Anne of Green Gables (lost American silent film adaptation of Canadian novel; 1919)
- Anne of Green Gables (found English dub of anime series; 1980s)
BBC Wiped Programs
- 1953 British Grand Prix (partially found footage of Formula One race; 1953)
- Adam Adamant Lives! (partially lost BBC children's TV series; 1966)
- Dad's Army (partially lost episodes and sketches; 1968-1970)
- Doctor Who (partially lost episodes of British science-fiction TV series; 1963-1974)
- Jazz Goes to College (partially found BBC jazz concert series; 1966-1967)
- Late Night Line-Up (partially found Beatles "Abbey Road" special; 1969)
- Madhouse on Castle Street (partially found BBC television play; 1963)
- Out of the Unknown (partially found BBC sci-fi series; 1967-1971)
- Requiem for a Heavyweight (partially found BBC Sunday-Night Theatre TV play; 1957)
- The Complete and Utter History of Britain (partially found British sketch comedy TV series; 1969)
- The Quatermass Experiment (partially found BBC sci-fi serials; 1953)
- The Sad Story of Henry (lost live BBC broadcast adaptation of "The Railway Series" books; 1953)
- Top Of The Pops (partially lost British music series; 1964-2006)
- United! (lost British soap opera; 1965-1967)
- Zingalong (partially found British children's series; 2002-2004)