Barry the Rescue Engine (lost production material of cancelled "The Railway Series" book; 1980s)
Barry the Rescue Engine was intended to be an installment of the popular British children's book series, The Railway Series, on which the television show Thomas And Friends is based. The book was to be written by Christopher Awdry, the son of original author Rev. Wilbert Awdry.
Awdry wrote the book sometime in the 1980s and would have introduced the titular character Barry (who has been confirmed to be a BR Standard Class 2 Darlington Work's Engine with a 2-6-0 wheel configuration), who is named after the scrapyard in South Wales where he was rescued. The book has been confirmed to heavily feature the owner of the railway Sir Topham Hatt (otherwise known as The Fat Controller).
However, the company that published The Railway Series demanded to have more Thomas-centric books, and refused to publish Barry's debut appearance in the series. This was likely compounded by the fact that, at the time, the television show based on the book was running strong and had catapulted Thomas into the spotlight. At the time, Britt Alcroft (producer of the television series) was under contract that she could only make episodes based on stories from the book. Therefore, it is likely that the book More About Thomas the Tank Engine, a book specifically written for that reason, replaced Barry the Rescue Engine.
Sadly, Barry hasn't seen the light of day since his debut book got cancelled, outside of a few fan-made projects made using the Trainz software engine. Considering the highly merchandised-based aspect of The Railway Series and Thomas the Tank Engine at this point, there is still a chance Barry could make his way into the official series.
It is likely that some drafts of the stories in the book reside with the Awdry family, and possibly some stories in the book might be in other books, published after More About Thomas the Tank Engine.
See Also[edit | edit source]
Thomas & Friends[edit | edit source]
- Thomas & Friends "Jack Jumps In" (found Alec Baldwin narration of British children's TV series episode; 2002)
- Thomas & Friends: Day of the Diesels (lost original cut of direct-to-DVD film; existence unconfirmed; 2011)
- Thomas & Friends "Series 7" (partially found original music of American dub of British children's TV series; mid 2000s)
- Thomas & Friends "Series 12" (partially found Pierce Brosnan narrations of British children's animated series; 2008)
Thomas the Tank Engine[edit | edit source]
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Season 3" (found Michael Angelis narriation of British children's TV series episodes; 1991)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Season 4" (found pre-recorded version of British children's TV series episodes; 1994)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Down the Mine" (partially found unaired pitch pilot version of children's TV series; 1983)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "The Missing Coach" (partially found footage from unfinished episode of children's TV series; 1986)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (found deleted scenes of children's fantasy adventure film; 2000)
- Thomas the Tank Engine (lost pilot episode of unproduced 2D animated adaptation on "The Railway Series" books; 1976)
Other[edit | edit source]
- Thomas the Tank Engine (found original illustrated edition of book; 1946)
- Thomas and the U.K. Trip & Thomas Number 1 (found Japanese "Thomas the Tank Engine" crossover TV special and music video; 1993)
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company (miscellaneous lost media of spinoff series; existence unconfirmed; 2002)
- The Three Railway Engines (found original edition of book; 1945)
- The Sad Story of Henry (lost live BBC broadcast adaptation of "The Railway Series" books; 1953)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (lost test footage of 3.5" character models for British children's TV series; 1995)