Bubsy 3D (lost Sega Saturn port of 3D platformer; 1996-1997)
Bubsy 3D was a PlayStation game developed by Eidetic and published by Accolade. It was released in November 1996 and is considered by many to be one of the worst games ever made, due to its primitive three-dimensional graphics, (having come out after Nintendo's Super Mario 64) bad voice acting, and its poor controls and camera. It was also the last game in the Bubsy franchise for over two decades, until Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back was announced and released in 2017.
A Sega Saturn version, known as Bubsy III in development, was also planned and would have apparently been based on the original Sega 32X development models. It was stated to come out in Winter 1996, as noted on GamePro Magazine, but was then stated to be delayed to Spring 1997 on Accolade's official website, and eventually cancelled outright due to the failure of the PlayStation version.
Currently, no prototypes of the Saturn port have resurfaced and very little info on the port exists (besides articles mentioning the game coming out on the Sega Saturn).
- A negative review of Bubsy 3D in the GameFan magazine. Retrieved 10 Feb '20
- IGN article announcing The Woolies Strike Back. Retrieved 19 Jul '17
- Scanned copy of GamePro US Magazine with the article. Retrieved 28 Dec '20
- Accolade's Website archived on The WayBack Machine. Retrieved 28 Dec '20
- Sega Retro article on the game. Retrieved 19 Jul '17