Disney Infinity 4.0 (cancelled sequel to action-adventure sandbox game series; 2010s)
Disney Infinity was a toys-to-life video game series developed by Avalanche Software and distributed by Disney Interactive Studios. The game combined characters from different Disney properties (Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.) into one game. The game had two different types of game play: Playsets, action-adventure games based off of different franchises and movies (most of the time of movies that were having recent releases at the time), and Toy Box, where players could create anything you wanted in a big sandbox-style game. The series had three games, named 1.0 (2013), 2.0 (2014), and 3.0 (2015).
However, as sales declined as the games went on (mainly because of the toys-to-life genre slowly dying out) Disney had to shut down Avalanche Software, along with all of Disney's video game divisions, and announced that they will primarily be focusing on mobile games. This not only cancelled plans that the studio had the current version of the game (including a playset based off of the 2016 animated film Moana, 12-inch figures, etc.) but also the next planned game of the series.
Planned Content for Disney Infinity 4.0
The team at Avalanche Software reportedly had multiple plans for this version of the game including:
- Cars 3 Playset.
- Star Wars: Rogue One Playset.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales Playset.
- Coco Playset.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 Playset.
- Thor: Ragnarok Playset.
- A drop of the numbers (2.0, 3.0, etc.) in the tiles.
- A Toy Box Story Mode - where you could play as any Disney Infinity character in one action-adventure game.
Since the closing of the studio in 2017, former employees have shared multiple work-in-progress things from before the series was cancelled. This includes a first look on what 4.0 may have looked like, including a look into a intro of the game with Jiminy Cricket (from Pinocchio) and a look into what the Toy Box Story Mode would have been like.
There are also fan petitions to get the series back, since Disney still owns the IP and recently Avalanche Software was re-opened by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
On January 14th, 2019, a five minute video showing Pre-alpha footage of 4.0's Kingdom Mode (which would have served as the Toy Box's Story Mode) was leaked online showing a Playset combining Aladdin and Star Wars together.
- Disney Infinity's Wikipedia page. Retrieved 12 Oct '18
- Kotaku's article on the cancelled plans for 4.0 and the Infinity series. Retrieved 12 Oct '18
- Kotaku's article on the cancelled Moana playset. Retrieved 06 May '19
- Kotaku's article on the Pre-alpha footage of Disney Infinity 4.0. Retrieved 06 May '19