Gorillaz - Celebrity Harvest (cancelled animated film based on British virtual band; early 2000s)
Gorillaz is a British virtual band created by Blur frontman Damon Albarn and Tank Girl artist Jamie Hewlett, which consists of four animated members: 2-D, Murdoc Niccals, Russel Hobbs and Noodle.
Shortly after the release of their self-titled debut album, Hewlett announced that a Gorillaz film with the working title of Celebrity Harvest was in its early stages of development, along with a second album that would serve as the film's soundtrack. The film was further teased in Blur's 2003 album Think Tank, which had the words "Celebrity Harvest" printed on a corner of the booklet.
Very little is known about the movie itself. Hewlett described it as "a very dark film" with "cannibals and zombies", however, it appears that an actual storyline was never established. Some of the ideas for the movie can be seen through Jamie's sketch artworks, such as Murdoc leaving Gorillaz and forming a metal band. In a 2005 Trax Magazine interview with the band, it was revealed via the fictional characters that the movie had been scrapped. According to Hewlett, big animation studios such as Dreamworks were unwilling to produce the movie, likely because it would've been too mature for a child audience (though Gorillaz, by themselves, are far from being child friendly).
- https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/76671/gorillaz-bust-a-move-on-new-album-movie Article about the movie's announcement.
- http://www.eeggs.com/items/42060.html An Eeggs.com thread about the "Celebrity Harvest" easter egg on Think Tank. .
- https://gorillazsongbysong.blogspot.com.br/2017/08/murdoc-is-god.html A Gorillaz song analysis which mentions a Jamie Hewlett quote about the movie.
- http://gorillaz-news.livejournal.com/44975.html The translated Trax Magazine interview.
- https://suerusselldj.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/gorillaz-morrissey-and-sade-turned-them-down-tv-series-in-the-works-more/ Article in which Jamie Hewlett briefly mentions the movie.