Happyish (found unaired pilot of Showtime TV series; 2013)
Happyish (stylized as HAPPYish), is a satirical comedy-drama series, starring Steve Coogan as Thom Payne, a middle-aged man who hates his job at an advertising firm, as well as the new bosses who took over the company. Debuted on Showtime in April 2015, it was cancelled after 10 episodes due to low ratings.
A pilot episode was made in 2013, with Philip Seymour Hoffman in the lead role, who series creator Shalom Auslander brought into the project after he sold the series to Showtime in 2011. However, due to Hoffman’s untimely death on February 2nd, 2014, the series entered in production limbo, with Ausland looking for another actor to portray Thom Payne. The role ultimately landed on Steve Coogan. Although never officially aired, the pilot episode marks Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s final television appearance.
- The Wikipedia page for Happyish. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- YouTube upload of Happyish's unaired pilot (NSFW, blocked in most countries). Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Archived version of the YouTube upload of the pilot. Retrieved 22 Feb '20
- Hollywood Reporter's article about the recasting of Thomas Payne in Happyish. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- John Cameron Mitchell's Instagram post regarding the pilot (NSFW). Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Collider article about the released pilot episode. Retrieved 18 Feb '20