KaBlam! "An Off-Beats Valentine's" (found spinoff special of Nickelodeon animated series; 1998)
An Off-Beats Valentine's is a 1999 TV special. It is one of many spin-offs of Nickelodeon's KaBlam! and is a notorious short from the show's first (of reportedly multiple) half-hour TV holiday specials for Valentine's Day. In the spirit of Valentine's Day, the special depicts many instances of romance. In one instance, Tommy and Beth of the Populars develop a crush on each other. In another, September reminisces about February (a female cat he was once in love with). In a stunning twist of events, Tommy is finally seen without his hat. It initially aired around Valentine's Day, 1999, on Nickelodeon's "Nickel-O-Zone". As one press release noted:
"We've had the same team of independent animators and voiceover kids for the past four years, so everyone really understood their characters and was ready to jam."
Music for the special was uploaded by the show's creator (Mo Willems) on his website. It was originally coming from a mock album that Curious Pictures had made for the crew, titled "The Off-Beats Beats". This included a new version of the show's theme, haunting music about September and February's romance, the war that tore it apart, and an ironically-terrible love song, DJed by September during the Valentine's dance. The song was integrated quietly in the special so, as Willems explains, "no one could hear the terrible lyrics sung off-key." The entire script for the special was also uploaded by Willems on the "Some Scripts" section of his website before it was removed.
The video was originally uploaded on a private website. Thanks to an anonymous contributor who sent Lost Media Wiki's founder and admin Dycaite the original raw file, the special has been available in its entirety for the public to see.
- KaBlam! "Just Chillin" (found episode of Nickelodeon animated series; 2000)
- KaBlam! "KaFun!" (found episode of Nickelodeon animated series; 1999)
- KaBlam! "Episode 29" (non-existent episode of animated series; 1998)
- KaBlam! "The Henry and June Show" (found spinoff pilot of Nickelodeon animated series; 2000)
- Action League Now!: The Series "Thunder Girl: Tracking The Storm" (found episode of "Kablam!" spinoff animated series; 2001-2002)
- Prometheus and Bob (cancelled film adaptation of "KaBlam!" sketch animated series; late 1990s)
- Action League Now!: The Series "Monster Mashed" (lost episode of "Kablam!" spinoff animated series; 2002)
- Press release for the special. Retrieved 19 Aug '18
- Mo Willem's blog post about the music for the special. Retrieved 19 Aug '18
- Mo Willem's blog post about the special's script (courtesy of the Wayback Machine). Retrieved 19 Aug '18