Paccie (lost PlayStation 2 game; existence unconfirmed; 2004)
Paccie was a maze game supposedly released by infamous European game publisher Phoenix Games for the PlayStation 2 in 2004. The game (like many of the other titles produced by Phoenix) remains most infamous today for its box art, which is commonly featured on many worst box art lists online due to the poor quality of the CGI featured in the image, and the unappealing character design.
Nothing is currently known about the gameplay of the game, though it could be easily inferred from the very similar title and appearance of the character that the game is little more than a Pac-Man ripoff.
Very little remains known about this title online, with the frequently shared box art being the only evidence of its existence. This has lead many people to question if the game was ever actually made at all, with some theorizing that the box art was a mock-up for a planned but unproduced title, created purely to fill up space in catalogs, or a simple hoax. This idea is further supported by the overall lack of information available for the game online in comparison to other titles developed by Phoenix, with the unconfirmed release date of 31st December, 2004 being the only alleged piece of information to have resurfaced about the game. This is all just speculation, however, and unless someone were to get in contact with one of the six people known to have worked at Phoenix Games, the fate of the game will ultimately remain undetermined.
- Page for the game on Giant Bomb. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Worst video game box art list featuring Paccie. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- PlayStation Age Forums thread about Phoenix Games in which the game is brought up. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Panel at the Norwich Games Festival 2019 in which the game is briefly mentioned. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- 4chan thread about Paccie. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Page for Paccie on IGDB. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Page for Phoenix Games on Giant Bomb. Retrieved 30 Jun '19