Return of Donkey Kong (lost build of cancelled NES game; existence unconfirmed; 1987-1988)
Return of Donkey Kong was an unconfirmed cancelled video game planned for the NES, as an entry to the insanely popular Donkey Kong franchise at the time.
The only proof of the game's existence is in the Official Nintendo Player's Guide in 1987, where it is listed as an "upcoming attraction", and the Nintendo Fun Club magazine in 1988, where it mentions the game in its 5th issue It's not known if the game was being made but got cancelled, or if it was planned but scrapped before they could work on the game. Based on the advertisements, it seems that the player would play as Donkey Kong, and said player could throw barrels like in the original Donkey Kong arcade games. There are currently no images of the game, and it was never shown to the public or mentioned again.
- Donkey Kong no Ongaku Asobi (lost build of cancelled Famicom educational game; 1983)
- Donkey Kong: Coconut Crackers (lost build of cancelled Game Boy Advance game; 2002)
- Donkey Kong Racing (lost build of cancelled Nintendo GameCube racing game; 2002)
- Diddy Kong Racing Adventure (found build of cancelled Nintendo GameCube sequel to "Diddy Kong Racing"; 2004)
- Super Mario Wiki page on the game. Retrieved 17 Apr '21
- Official Nintendo Player's Guide upcoming attractions page mentioning the game. Retrieved 17 Apr '21
- Nintendo Fun Club sneak peek page mentioning the game. Retrieved 17 Apr '21