The Bee-Bees (lost Italian animated series; 2006)
The Bee-Bees (aka I Bi-Bi), was an Italian preschool animated show created by illustrator Simona Bursi and directed by Pierluigi de Mas, Gianandrea Garola and Guido Orlandi. The show is about a group of surreal creatures in a fantasy world. The main characters are Berry (Baco), Beena (Bina), Blob, and Boo (Bu). They like to gather under the Big Tree each morning. Berry has an antenna that can summon the Blue Wise Man (Blu), an adult figure who teaches morals to the cast. There were 52 episodes running 6 minutes and 30 seconds each.
The show was produced by de Mas & Partners, Rai Fiction and Village Productions. de Mas died during production on May 7th, 2005. The show debuted on September or October 2006 on Rai 2. It was also added to Rai Gulp on April 2008. It was exported to Finland as Pompulat and aired on Yle TV2 during approximately 2008-2010, apparently as part of the Pikku Kakkonen program. There was also news that the show's rights were sold to more countries in Europe, as well as North African and Arabic ones.
Its pilot was nominated in the 2005 Cartoons On The Bay festival for Best TV Pilot. The show was nominated in the 2006 Cartoons On The Bay festival on the TV Series for Infants category.
No footage of The Bee-Bees is known to be available online. There are screenshots of the show on the Finnish website Elisa Viihde and in an Italian cartoon research PDF. Distribution rights are held by the German distributor Global Screen.
- Italian Wikipedia page on I Bi-Bi. Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Global Screen page on The Bee-Bees. Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Cartoni Online - "I BI-BI" Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Millecanali - "I cartoni 'de Mas & Partners' al passo con i nuovi media" Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Elisa Viihde - "Pikku Kakkonen, 1 Dec '08" Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Elisa Viihde - "Pikku Kakkonen, 29 Jan '10" Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Film.it - IL MERAVIGLIOSO MONDO DE "I BI-BI" Retrieved 04 Aug '19
- Forme di cartone - Osservatorio di Pavia Retrieved 04 Aug '19