The Bush Baby (lost English dub of anime series; 1993)
The Bush Baby is an anime adaptation of William Stevenson's 1965 novel The Bushbabies. The series, produced by Nippon Animation, aired for 40 episodes on TV Tokyo between January and December 1992, as part of the company's historic World Masterpiece Theatre series.
An English dub of the series aired in Canada on TVOntario and Access Alberta, with a CRTC approval indicating the run began in 1993. This adaptation was allegedly produced by Cinelume in Montreal, Canada. No home video releases of this production are known to exist and no footage has ever been uploaded online.
The series gained slight internet notoriety in 2016 after one of Stevenson's grandchildren posted on Reddit about the surrealism of having an anime based on a family as well as the English dub's scarcity. The poster later confirmed the family owns a personal copy of the dub. However, the user later deleted their Reddit account, making it very difficult to get in touch with them again about the dub.
In 2017, a Twitter user asked TVO if they could stream the English dub online like they are doing with some of the other World Masterpiece Theater series on their French website. A representative from the channel claimed The Bush Baby had never aired on TVO. When confronted with TV guides showing the series airing on the channel, the TVO representative declined to comment.
- 1992: Bushbaby Retrieved 24 Sept '17
- List of CRTC Canadian Program Recognition Numbers Retrieved 24 Sept '17
- Bush Baby Retrieved 24 Sept '17
- [https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/56yxng/my_grandfather_wrote_a_book_about_my_aunt_that/ My grandfather wrote a book about my aunt that was turned into a 40-episode anime series in 1992. She has no idea it exists.] Retrieved 24 Sept '17
- I asked TVO if there was any chance of them streaming The Bush Baby's English dub and they told me they never aired that show??? Retrieved 24 Sept '17
- Ottawa/Montreal/Central & Southern Quebec Sun, Mar 13, 1994 Retrieved 24 Sept '17