The Nourishment is Palatable: The Comedy and Satire of John Green (lost radio essays CD; 2003)
The Nourishment is Palatable: The Comedy and Satire of John Green was a CD of radio essays written by author John Green for WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. (The title was a reference to Millard Fillmore's last words, which were also included in Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska.) Since WBEZ owned the recordings of these essays, John Green released the CD for free on request from approximately 2003 to 2006 on his now-defunct website sparksflyup.com. Information is only available on an archived page:
"The CD includes 16 John Green commentaries that aired on WBEZ. It is about 70 minutes long, and also has some nice bluegrass songs as intros and outros, thanks to Hank.
So here's the deal: You email me a domestic address. And then I will send a copy of the CD to that address. Even if you don't want to listen to the CD, you might still want to request a copy, as it makes for a fine coaster, or, in a pinch, a makeshift frisbee. There are a lot of uses for "The Nourishment Is Palatable," and you will be able to explore all of them, because -- after all -- it will not cost you one red cent."
Text versions of these essays (and other essays not listed on the CD) are still available on johngreenradio.blogspot.com and on archived pages of sparksflyup.com. However, download links for the audio no longer work.
In 2017, John Green's brother, Hank Green, tweeted an image of the cover that he designed for the CD. The cover had a tracklist (albeit only 14 essays are listed) and production credits:
- Nine Girls I have kissed and what I learned about them from google.com (Text Found)
- College (Text Found)
- Speed Dating (Text Found)
- Smoking (Text Found)
- Saving the World (Text Found)
- The Illinois Budget Crisis (Text Found)
- The Accidental Terrorist (Text Found)
- Instanter Gratification (Text Found)
- A Modest Proposal (Text Found)
- Flying High on Corporate Welfare (Text Found)
- Economic Stimulus (Text Found)
- Your Next Governor (Text Found)
- The Game (Text Found)
- RATS! (Text Found)
"The Nourishment is Palatable is a production of http://www.sparksflyup.com the 2,854,352,413rd most popular website in the world. John Geen wrote and spoke the words. Hank Green produced the CD and designed the cover. Mike Green helped out in several ways. Sydney Green provided invaluable support. This is in short a Green family production. This compact disc is free and should be distributed freely."
Hank Green was unsure if the MP3s still existed and wondered if they were "hopelessly outdated and problematic" and if he would "ever let them be released". In 2020, he said "we have found pieces of it and deemed it actually quite bad...not like, in quality, but in values."
- The Nourishment Is Palatable: An Entirely, Completely, Free CD. Retrieved 19 Dec '20
- The Archive: Here you'll find older satire and commentary that aired on WBEZ. Retrieved 19 Dec '20
- The CD cover art I did for John's spoken essay CD. JOHN HAD A SPOKEN ESSAY CD YOU GUYS! Retrieved 19 Dec '20
- The real question is...are these so hopelessly outdated and problematic that there's no way I will ever let them be released? Retrieved 19 Dec '20
- Hah, yes, we have found pieces of it and deemed it actually quite bad...not like, in quality, but in values.