The Umizumiz (partially found unaired pilot of "Team Umizoomi" Nick Jr. CGI-animated/live-action series; 2008)
Team Umizoomi is an American CGI-animated/live-action series that premiered on Nick Jr. on January 25th, 2010. The show revolves around the three tiny superheroes Millie, Geo, and Bot solving various problems in Umi City and teaching simple math concepts such as numbers, shapes, and measuring.
In 2008, a pilot was made to pitch the show to the Noggin channel, then titled The Umizumiz. This pilot features numerous major changes from the final show, with the show originally slated to premiere the same year on Noggin.
History[edit | edit source]
In 2006, showrunners Soo Kim, Michael T. Smith, and Jennifer Twomey would concept the original idea for Team Umizoomi, then called The Umizumiz. The earilest use of the The Umizumiz name comes from a trademark filed on April 20th, 2006.
This original concept was very different from the show, with these differences including different character designs, names (such as the "Umi Car" being called the "Zipmobile", and two extra characters that did not make into the final show which include:
- Zig Zag: A purple girl who's purpose is unknown.
- Alphonse: An orange boy who likes shapes and geometry, being scrapped and recycled for Geo.
Development continued until 2008, when a pilot was produced to pitch the show to Noggin, an educational channel operated by Nickelodeon. The show was planned to premiere on Noggin the same year, according to some sources. Most of the differences in the original concept carried into this pilot, with the same characters and title.
The actual premise of the pilot is unknown, however the footage available seems to involve a dinosaur in a museum. This seems to match the description of the eighth episode of the series, "The Dinosaur Museum Mishap", where dinosaurs get frightened away by thunder and it's up to Team Umizoomi to find them. Other than this, not much else is known about the pilot itself. The pilot would eventually be greenlit into a full series, with The Umizumiz being re-tooled and premiering as Team Umizoomi on January 25th, 2010 on Nickelodeon as part of the Nick Jr. morning block.
Availability[edit | edit source]
After the pilot was pitched to Nickelodeon and greenlit into a full series, the pilot has not been seen by the public since. This is most likely due to the pilot being very different from what the series would eventually become, similar to Blue Prints, another pilot for a popular Nick Jr. show. All that remains from the pilot are some screenshots, a few pieces of concept art, and the theme song, which is available on composer Nick Balaban's website.
On November 11th, 2018, YouTube user The Official CompleteGamer! uploaded an 8-second clip of The Umizumiz pilot. While low-quality and having no audio, this is the first clip of the pilot available anywhere on the internet.
On September 15th, 2020, YouTube user Yaili The Lost Media Boy uploaded the same clip of the pilot as The Official CompleteGamer!, albeit with audio. It's unknown how these clips were obtained by the respective users, it possibly originated from the video Nickkit UberHotmix LOSSLESS-desktop.m4v (this video was privated after 2019), which showcased clips from pilots pitched to Nickelodeon including The Umizumiz.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
Concept Art[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
The theme song for The Umizumiz pilot, taken from Nick Balaban's website.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- The Backyardigans (partially found Nick Digital pilot of Nick Jr. CGI animated series; 2002)
- Blue Prints (partially found unaired pilot of "Blue's Clues" Nick Jr. animated/live action series; 1994-1995)
- Bubble Guppies (partially found unaired pilot of Nick Jr. CGI animated series; 2006)
- Dora the Explorer (partially found unaired pilot episodes of Nick Jr. animated series; late 1990s)
- Me and My Friends (partially found live-action pilot of "The Backyardigans" Nick Jr. CGI-animated series; 1998)
- Oswald (lost unaired pilot of Nick Jr. animated series; late 1990s)
- Super Why? (partially found stop-motion Nick Jr. pilot of PBS Kids CGI series; 1999)
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- NickALive! Blogspot page with the press release announcing The Umizumiz. Retrieved 28 Mar '21
- Justia trademark registry of The Umizumiz name. Retrieved 28 Mar '21
- C21 Media page that mentions The Umizumiz. Retrieved 29 Mar '21
- Big Cartoon Database page on the eighth episode of Team Umizoomi, "The Dinosaur Museum Mishap". Retrieved 29 Mar '21
- Composer Nick Balaban's website, featuring the The Umizumiz pilot theme song. Retrieved 29 Mar '21