Wakfu (unreleased English pilot dubs of French animated series; 2009)
Wakfu is a French animated series based on the MMO of the same name by Ankama Animation. The series initially debuted in 2008 and has since spawned multiple followup seasons, TV specials, spinoffs, toys and other assorted merchandise.
Multiple attempts have been made to try to release the show in English speaking markets. The production chronology of which is not entirely clear.
At the 2009 MCM London Expo, Ankama presented two English dubbed episodes. This dub is believed to have been recorded in France by expats, many of whom previously worked on the English version of Code Lyoko, and was allegedly at one point hosted as a sales video for interested broadcasters on a site related to Ankama. The site has since gone offline and footage from that dub can no longer be found online.
An English pilot recorded by Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada was shown off to attendees at Anime Expo 2011 in the US. Footage of this dub was posted online. Ocean's sister company, the Calgary-based casting agency Chinook Animation, lists working on five episodes in their portfolio. It's not known if this refers to an entirely separate dub or if this was a joint production between the two Canadian studios. Several actors from Calgary have confirmed their involvement.
In 2014, Ankama launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund an English dub of the entire series (to that date). It proved extremely successful, grossing $483,524 out of an $80,000 goal. This dub uses an entirely unique English voice cast from the United States and the United Kingdom. It would later air on Toonami in South East Asia and be distributed by Netflix in most markets. The voices used in the crowdfunding trailer differ from the final cast. It featured talent from Los Angeles, USA (namely Ben Diskin and Cassandra Morris). It's not known if those actors were hired on exclusively for the trailer or if they were also involved in an unreleased pilot. The third season switches over to an entirely new voice cast based in Los Angeles.
France English Cast[edit | edit source]
- Barbara Scaff - Yugo
- Sharon Mann - Amalia
- Jodi Forrest - Evangelyne
- David Gasman - Percedal
- Paul Bandey - Ruel
- Matthew Géczy - Rubilax & Alibert
Canadian Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jillian Michaels - Yugo
- Angie Beers - Amalia
- Britt McKillip - Evangelyne
- Lucas Gilbertson - Percedal
- Don Brown - Ruel
- Doug de Nance - Rubilax
- Jonathan Love - Rich McDeek
References[edit | edit source]
- Wakfu Episode Exclusives @ MCM Expo Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- WAKFU TV SERIES - WHEN WILL IT BE IN ENGLISH? Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Episode 138: French Anime Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Page Not Found Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- AX 2011: The Introduction to the World of WAKFU Panel Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Chinook Animation, Voices For The World! Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- DOUG DE NANCE Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Guest Announcement #3 Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- WAKFU: The Animated Series Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Technical Update #19: Meet the Main Cast of Season 1 Retrieved 08 Jul '17.
- Wakfu To Premiere On Toonami Asia On Friday 6th February Retrieved 08 Jul '17
- Netflix Acquires Ankama’s French Toon Series ‘Wakfu’ Retrieved 08 Jul '17
- WAKFU: The Animated Series in English? It's possible with Kickstarter! Retrieved 08 Jul '17
- New Season 3 Dub Cast Retrieved 27 May '18