Doraemon '79 (partially found Phuuz English dub pilot of anime; early 2000s)
Sometime during the early 2000s, Unbound Creative Inc. (then known as Phuuz Entertainment) licensed the 1979 Doraemon series through TV Asahi, in hopes of distributing it in the US. A pitch pilot was produced, but was never picked up by any network, most likely due to lack of interest.
Very little information is available about the pilot, although reference to it is made in the Phuuz producer Ken Duer's profile. Its existence can also be seen in a WebArchive copy of a page relating to the different productions that were dubbed.
On October 22, 2017, a user named "Carpediemsnuts" posted onto the anime subreddit of Reddit a photo of a VHS tape with the Creative logo on it as well as a (misspelled) label identifying it as "DORAEMON THE FINISHED ITEM". The caption for the photo read "So my Dad once mentioned he'd voiced an anime in the 90's...I just found this." According to the user, his father, who had done previous work for MTV UK, was commissioned to voice Doraemon in the pilot. On October 24, 2017, the same user posted a 2 1/2 minute clip of the pilot onto their Twitter account.
The Phuuz one was commissioned by TV Asahi, and Phuuz is a company based in California while the found dub is clearly recorded in the UK and was commissioned by MTV UK. Also, the found one was made in the 1990s while the Phuuz one was made in the 2000s.
There are multiple other Doraemon English dubs that are in various states of accessibility:
- 1985 SuperStation Dub - One of the first attempts to bring Doraemon to the English world was an unreleased dub created for Turner's SuperStation WTBS.
- Albert and Sydney - The 1979 anime received a Barbados-exclusive English dub that's been completely lost.
- Asian Dubs - Throughout the years, various English Doraemon dubs have been produced in Malaysia and Singapore.
- Phuuz Entertainment Pilot - The U.S.-based company Phuuz Entertainment produced an English pilot dub of the 1979 Doraemon anime in the early 2000s.
- Doraemon 2005 Alternate Dub - An alternate Hong Kong-produced dub of the 2005 anime series aired in the United Kingdom.
- Stand By Me Doraemon - The 2015 CG-animated Doraemon feature received two English dubs, one of which has limited distribution.