Halyx (lost album of Disney rock band; 1980s)
Halyx was a rock band created by Walt Disney Records (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company) In the early 1980s, inspired by the popularity of Star Wars.
The band played frequently at Disneyland and in the Los Angeles club scene. Bambi Moe (former A&R rep for Disneyland Records) states in Mouse Tracks:
They were fun. Lora’s husband Tom was the keyboardist, and his keyboard was built into a golf cart he drove around on stage as the headlights flashed up into the audience. Roger Freeland, who was over six feet tall, wore a Wookie-like costume and wildly played bass. Tony Caputo, the percussionist, had a gymnastic rope so he could do somersaults and things. And Bruce Gowdy was the handsome leading man, sort of a space-age rock-and-roll guitarist to our Princess Leia type, who was Lora. The response of the Disneyland crowd was so phenomenal, it was causing the park a problem because they did not want people to get up and dance—it wasn’t really allowed! Their sound was of the time, the sort of legitimate pop rock you would have heard on the radio, along the lines of Kim Carnes and Blondie.
This article where most of the info comes from, also mentions that “Due to various changes with their recording company, Halyx was eventually dropped from the Elektra/Asylum/Warner Brothers label before their first recording could be released”.
It's not completely clear whether this album was merely planned or actually completed by the time the band was dropped, but it seems likely that at least demo recordings of it would have existed.
- Halyx: For Those About to Rock…at Disneyland! from Imaginerding, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018
- Halyx – Part 1 from Jymn Magon Presents… A Blog, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018 - by someone who was involved in the creation of the band
- Halyx – Part 2 from Jymn Magon Presents… A Blog, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018 - by someone who was involved in the creation of the band
- Mouse tracks: the story of Walt Disney Records said to contain information about Halyx
- HALYX performs Lightning on Youtube, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018 - contains a comment from the drummer of the band
- HALYX performs Jailbait on Youtube, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018 - contains a comment from part of the crew that put the band together
- HALYX performs His Heart on Youtube, Retrieved 7 Sept 2018