Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (partially lost widescreen versions of NBC broadcasts of parade; 2005-2011)
The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade needs absolutely no introduction. Spanning an over 95-year history, the parade has been loved by children and adults alike. Many Americans also watch the official NBC broadcast of the parade. While most broadcasts of the parade are found, some are also lost. What is interesting, however, is that even the widescreen cuts of parades can be considered lost media.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Since 2005, NBC has broadcasted the Parade in widescreen. While 2012-present are viewable in full in widescreen on YouTube, the same can not be said for the 2005-2011 parades, as most of those in that timeframe can't be viewed in full online. Most people were not using Widescreen TVs at the time, making the 2009-2011 parades more likely to be found than the 2005-2008 parades. Only a handful of clips have made their way to YouTube, implying that they still exist. The only one that is viewable in full that is widescreen is the 2007 Parade, having been uploaded originally by FraggleVision Returns under her Major League Pong Gods account, but being squished from 16:9 into 4:3. The 2007 broadcast stayed like that until 2021 when user JuggleBuggle would upload the balloons in widescreen to his YouTube account. Later in 2022, he would upload the rest of the parade in widescreen.
On October 31st, 2022, Larsenv uploaded the 2010 and 2011 parades in full, with both the NBC and CBS feeds for each. They were found on Usenet. Later, on December 22nd, 2022, Racelympics uploaded the 2008 parade to Google Drive after finding it from Usenet. It was later re-uploaded to the Internet Archive by LunarRocks. Four days later, Racelympics also uploaded the 2009 parade to the Internet Archive.
List of Parades[edit | edit source]
|06||2010||Found (NBC / CBS)|
|07||2011||Found (NBC / CBS)|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- 1939 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (lost experimental NBC broadcast of parade; 1939)
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (partially found NBC broadcasts of parade; 1953-1980)
- 1982 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1982)
- 1989 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1989)
- 1998 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1998)
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (lost production material of cancelled film adaptation of annual event; 2011)