PetPet Park (lost online MMO game based on Neopets; 2008-2014)
The virtual pet website Neopets has had a couple of spinoffs over the years, whether they be games on the site or just different websites or apps altogether, including The Last Smiley, Neopets Mobile and PetPet Park. PetPet Park was opened in October 2008 by Neopets and Nickelodeon Kids & Family Virtual Worlds Group and focused on the Neopets' companions, Petpets.
Before it opened in October 2008, it started as a mini-plot in Neopets, where Neopians would go on missions to help agents "make sure any Petpets crossing over to Neopia arrive at Petpet Park safely".
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The game was similar to Neopets, with players having the ability to customize and feed their virtual pets. There was also 9 species of Petpets to choose from, such as Oukins, Petpets that are calm for the most part but can use a shriek to call other Oukins, or Pinixies, a very energetic species of Petpets, who are almost always doing things related to exercise.
Closure[edit | edit source]
In 2014, Neopets was acquired by the educational franchise JumpStart. Many things would be moved to a different place, but Petpet Park was not included in this group of things included in the move, as stated in a news post by Neopets on September 9th, 2014. The game then closed down on the 18th.
No playable versions of the game have surfaced since then, and in May 2017, Neopets stopped paying for the domain, and the site's current state is an advertising page unrelated to Neopets.
However, Petpet Park may not be unplayable forever. As of 2019, Neopets fans have started a project to make a "rewritten" version of the game (as with games like Toontown Online and its "rewritten" successor). However, they have not shared a playable version of the game and are still in the middle of creating content for this new version of the game.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Announcement of the opening of the game's beta. Retrieved 02 Apr '19
- A Neopets fansite that has an overview of the mini-plot and the missions. Retrieved 02 Apr '19
- A post on a Neopets fansite about the layoff of many Neopets employees, after the acquisition by JumpStart. Retrieved 02 Apr '19
- A list of news updates by Neopets in September 2014, including the announcement of Petpet Park shutting down (you have to scroll down a bit). Retrieved 02 Apr '19
- Petpet Park's current state at the moment. Retrieved 02 Apr '19
- The "PetPet Project" page on Facebook. Retrieved 02 Apr '19