Shin Chan (partially found Vitello and Phuuz English dub of anime based on manga series; 2002-2004)
Before FUNimation Entertainment attempted to market Crayon Shin Chan in the US in 2006 (with their dub lasting at least three seasons), two previous attempts at English adaptations had been in existence.
The first dub, produced through 2001-2002 by Vitello Productions and Lacey Production, was known by fans as "The Vitello dub" and is hard to come by. Shortened to just "Shin Chan" (as the later dubs would be), this version was never aired in the US, but did air in the UK through 2002-2003 on their version of Fox Kids and on RTE in the ROI.
The dub was later relegated to only shorts on Jetix, but the show was fully removed from the channel after Jetix rebranded to Disney XD. This dub contained many famous voice actors that had done work in Western animation, such as Grey DeLisle (who had her first voice acting role in it). Although the dub was heavily censored and localized, Shinnosuke's infamous Buri Buri dance was still in the show. There are only 5 episodes that can currently be found in their English dubbed format, but the Dutch version of the dub has at least 164 segments (3 segments of 5 to 7 minutes in one episode of 21 minutes) available. The Italian version of the dub has 159 segments available. Vitello and Lacey's adaptation was used as the basis for various overseas dubs.
Several episodes of the Vitello dub were released on Region 4 (Australia) DVDs, but they are now all out of print.
In 2004, Phuuz Entertainment gained the license to the series and produced a new English adaptation, featuring a different pool of Los Angeles-based voice actors. None of this dub was ever released on DVD, and it appears even harder to uncover clips of. This dub was pitched to Adult Swim in 2005, but was rejected on basis of it sounding too "childish" for the block. After Phuuz's license expired, FUNimation acquired the rights and their dub was approved.
Name Changes[edit | edit source]
Both dubs featured many name changes for the characters, although in some cases they used different options than what FUNimation would later use.
- Shinnosuke's name was shortened to "Shin"
- Misae became "Mitsy" and Hiroshi became "Harry"
- Himawari became "Daisy"
- Toru Kazama became "Cosmo", with his name loosely based off his surname
- Nene Sakurada became "Nini"
- Masao Sato became "Max"
- The principal Bunta Takakura/"Encho-sensei" was renamed "Principal Enzo"
- The teachers Midori Yoshinaga and Ume Matsuzaka were renamed "Miss Dori" and "Miss Uma", with the names loosely sourced from their Japanese names
- Action Mask was renamed "The Masked Muchacho"
- Ai Saotome was renamed "Sally" in Phuuz's dub (which covered later episodes)
- Masumi Ageo was renamed "Miss Agnes" in Phuuz's dub
Production Staff[edit | edit source]
- ADR Direction: Paul Vitello (Vitello dub), Michael Sorich (Phuuz dub)
- ADR Script: Leslie Ray (Vitello), Darlene Waddington (Phuuz)
- Dialogue Recording: R.D. Floyd (Vitello)
- Dialogue Editor: Larry Ellis (Vitello)
- Producer: Paul Vitello, Cheryl Pollak (Vitello), Ken Duer (Phuuz)
- Original music produced by: Rave Music, Inc.
- Composers: Louis Cortelezzi, John Lissauer
- Executive Producer for International Adaptation: Daisuke "Dan" Yoshikawa
Voice Cast[edit | edit source]
Vitello (2002)[edit | edit source]
- Shin Nohara, Mitsy Nohara: Kath Soucie
- Harry Nohara, Bo: Eric Loomis
- Daisy Nohara, Max: Russi Taylor
- Cosmo, Miss Uma: Grey DeLisle
- Nini, Miss Dori: Anndi McAfee
- Principal Enzo, Masked Muchacho: Patrick Fraley
Phuuz (2004)[edit | edit source]
- Shin Nohara: Diane Michelle
- Mitsy Nohara: Julie Maddalena
- Harry Nohara: Peter Doyle
- Cosmo: Hope Levy
- Max: Barbara Goodson
- Bo: Richard Cansino
- Nini: Michelle Ruff
- Miss Dori: Cindy Robinson
Episodes found of the Vitello dub[edit | edit source]
So far, 28 seperate segments have been found of this dub.
The Story of Shinnochio: https://vimeo.com/85034498
Mom Takes A Nap: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
A Visit From Grandpa: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
We Go On Vacation: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
The Late, Great Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap48eGJaAoo
Mom's A Shopaholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVrW9aqK4o
|I Can't Sleep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5p62dJi1k
Me and the Comic Book Guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEUbdQ4fJA8
Dad Goes Jogging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFqzNvr0PY
My Cool Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKq8CDHJ4Uc
I Love Nasty Books: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq70KPF76Vg
Play Ball (Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyZ72pmmAo
Play Ball (Part 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX1eRDOv6w
I Found A Wallet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AU7-aCWZb0
Bye Bye Cosmo: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Mom has a new dress: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Mom leaves me on the subway: https://mega.nz/#F!39dT3L4b!hyhpVmiF135uoUnScZ8q_Q
Fun With Balloons: ?