Sister Sonic (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" localization of "Popful Mail" Sega CD side-scrolling platformer; 1993)
Sister Sonic is a cancelled role-playing video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The game was set to be developed by Sega Falcom and was to be released on the Sega CD (Mega CD in Japan and Europe). Sister Sonic was going to be an American localization of the Japanese PC game Popful Mail, with the cast of characters being replaced with Sonic characters, as well as introducing Sonic's long-lost sister in place of Mail (the player character) herself.
History and Cancellation
In 1993, gaming magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly reported on a rumor of a new RPG game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series titled Sister Sonic and was possibly going to be unveiled at the Toy Fair in June of that year. Despite the report, Sister Sonic was not shown at the event.
Upon hearing about the game's existence, fans sent many angry letters to Sega Falcom, urging the developers to not change the game and release it in its original, unaltered state. Due to the overwhelmingly negative feedback, the game was delayed and eventually cancelled. Sega later released an unchanged English port of Popful Mail for the Sega CD in 1995. In a later issue, EGM made note of this event and the power of consumer's abilities to influence video game company's decisions.
No prototypes, screenshots, or videos of Sister Sonic have ever been released and it's unknown how much progress the game had made before it was cancelled.
- Shadow the Hedgehog (lost build of unreleased Teen rated version of platformer; 2005)
- Sonic 3D Blast (found cassette demo tape of unused game soundtrack; 1996)
- Sonic Adventure New Year's DLC (found "Sonic the Hedgehog" holiday-themed DLC; 1998)
- Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (found iOS game; 2010)
- Sonic DS (lost Nintendo DS tech demo; 2004)
- Sonic Generations (lost game demo; 2010)
- Sonic Jr. (lost build of unreleased Sega Pico game; existence unconfirmed; 1994)
- Sonic Saturn (lost build of cancelled Sega Saturn prototype of platformer; mid-1990s)
- Sonic Sports (lost build of cancelled Sega 32X sports game; 1995)
- Sonic Synergy (lost original build of "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric" Wii U action-adventure game; 2007-2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog "2006" (lost complete build of Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 platformer; 2006)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Amiga port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
- Sonic The Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Sega CD port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Tokyo Toy Show prototype build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1990)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Winter Consumer Electronics Show 1991 demo build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1991)
- Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (lost build of cancelled iOS port of Sega Genesis platformers; 2014)
- Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" game; existence unconfirmed; late 2000s)
- Sonic X-Treme (found build of unreleased Sega Saturn video game; 1996)
- Sonic-16 (lost build of unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game based on "Sonic the Hedgehog" animated TV series; 1993)
- Sonic Retro page on Sister Sonic. Retrieved 12 Jan '20
- Archived UGO Networks list of unreleased Sonic games. Retrieved 12 Jan '20
- Press The Buttons article on Sister Sonic. Retrieved 12 Jan '20