SpongeBob SquarePants "Shanghaied/You Wish" (lost English audio from alternate "Patchy the Pirate" segments; 2001)
SpongeBob SquarePants is an American animated television series that premiered on May 1st, 1999, on Nickelodeon. Created by Stephen Hillenburg, the series stars its titular character, SpongeBob Squarepants, a child-like sponge going on adventures and living in the fictional city of Bikini Bottom. The series was a massive success, with 13 seasons and over 8 billion dollars of revenue.
History[edit | edit source]
On March 9th, 2001, the Season 2 episode "Shanghaied" premiered. The episode is about an anchor crashing into SpongeBob and Squidward's house, which SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward climb up and end up on the Flying Dutchman's ship. The Flying Dutchman makes the three his crew before they go around Bikini Bottom trying to scare people. Finally, The Flying Dutchman gets mad at them and decides to eat them. When SpongeBob finds out, he tries to steal The Flying Dutchman's dining sock. In exchange for the sock, The Flying Dutchman gives them three wishes. After wasting the first two wishes, they are left with one wish, and SpongeBob gets the wish. SpongeBob wishes that The Flying Dutchman was a vegetarian, but the three get turned into fruits as The Flying Dutchman tries to eat them.
The episode was originally promoted as "You Wish", where people could vote for SpongeBob (wishes that The Flying Dutchman is a vegatarian), Patrick (wishes for gum, the trio gets eaten), or Squidward's ending (wishes that he never met his neighbors, the trio also gets eaten) to play out in the episode.
The episode was hosted by Patchy the Pirate, who has hosted many special events in the SpongeBob SquarePants universe. As mentioned, SpongeBob's ending won the contest, and it would play out for the rest of the episode's re-runs. The other endings for Patrick and Squidward, as well as the uncut version including all of the voting segments with Patchy were released with some DVD box sets. However, the wraparound Patchy segments for Patrick and Squidward's ending were not released and cannot be found in full.
Availability[edit | edit source]
All three endings and the uncut version of "Shanghaied" with all voting material intact were first shown on the Sea Stories DVD in 2002, and later The First 100 Episodes DVD box set in 2009. However, these DVD's surprisingly did not include the wraparound Patchy segments that would have been used if Patrick or Squidward won the contest.
On September 18th, 2016, YouTube user DarkLucario3000 uploaded both Patrick and Squidward's Patchy segments in Spanish (the Patrick segment was taken down due to copyright issues, however, it would be reuploaded on July 29th, 2019). While the segments themselves are available to watch, the original English audio is still lost.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Alternate Patchy Segments (in Spanish)[edit | edit source]
Other Videos[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- A Day With SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie (unproduced unauthorized direct-to-DVD mockumentary film; 2011)
- Astrology with Squidward (found series of "Spongebob Squarepants" animated shorts; 2000s)
- SpongeBob Cartoon Creator (partially found original version of Flash game; 2008-2013)
- SpongeBob: Re-Hydrated (partially lost "SpongeBob SquarePants" animated short; 2003)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (partially lost deleted scenes of Nickelodeon animated series; 1999-present)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (partially found incidental model sheets from Nickelodeon animated series; 1999-present)
- SpongeBob SquarePants and the Nicktoons Gravjet Racing (lost build of cancelled Xbox Live Arcade racing game; 2009)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Happiness Squared (lost video game based on SpongeBob SquarePants; late 2000s)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "Sailor Mouth" (lost uncensored version of animated series episode; existence unconfirmed; 2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants Saves the Krusty Krab 3D (found computer game; 2002)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "SpaceBob InvaderPants/Krabs' Army" (unfinished episodes of Nickelodeon animated series; 2015)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Underpants Slam (found Xbox Live Arcade game; 2007)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "War Blowers" (found full version of animated series music; 1999)
- SpongeBob's Truth or Square (found Nick Arcade party game; 2009)
- SpongeBob Town (lost build of cancelled massively multiplayer online game based on Nickelodeon animated TV series; 2012)
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Encyclopedia Spongebobia page for "Shanghaied". Retrieved 02 Sep '20
- Wikipedia article for "Shanghaied". Retrieved 02 Sep '20
- IMDb page for "Shanghaied". Retrieved 02 Sep '20
References[edit | edit source]
- Screen Rant article explaining all of the endings. Retrieved 02 Sep '20
- Big Cartoon Database page with production info for "Shanghaied/You Wish". Retrieved 20 Jan '21