The Adventures of Albert and Sidney (partially found English dub of "Doraemon" anime series; late 1980s-early 1990s)
Doraemon was a very successful Japanese anime that has aired in three different series since 1973. While the series was adapted in many countries, an English dub of the 1979 anime called The Adventures of Albert and Sidney aired in Barbados in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The show aired on Saturday mornings on CBC TV 8 in Barbados.
The first person to report this dub was a Barbadian user on a forum called The TFP in 2004, who recalled part of the theme song. Other users online have recalled the dub, but few concrete details of the show and no actual footage has resurfaced online yet. The only other known detail of the show was that the signs weren't translated.
In March 2017, a Lost Media Wiki contributor contacted CBC if they had information about the dub, but unfortunately, the channel had long since removed Albert & Sidney from its archive.
The dub was most likely produced in Canada, as the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved "The Adventures of Albert and Sidney" as Canadian content on June 6, 1986. According to the Television/Radio Age magazine, the dub was produced by Cinar, an animation studio based in Montreal, Quebec. After a tangled history, Cinar (which was later renamed Cookie Jar) is currently owned by WildBrain.
There are multiple other Doraemon English dubs that are in various states of accessibility:
- 1985 SuperStation Dub - One of the first attempts to bring Doraemon to the English world was an unreleased dub created for Turner's SuperStation WTBS.
- Asian Dubs - Throughout the years, various English Doraemon dubs have been produced in Malaysia and Singapore.
- Phuuz Entertainment Pilot - The U.S.-based company Phuuz Entertainment produced an English pilot dub of the 1979 Doraemon anime in the early 2000s.
- Doraemon 2005 Alternate Dub - An alternate Hong Kong-produced dub of the 2005 anime series aired in the United Kingdom.
- Stand By Me Doraemon - The 2015 CG-animated Doraemon feature received two English dubs, one of which has limited distribution.
- Doraemon Wiki article. Retrieved 14 Mar '17.
- TV Tropes page on Doraemon, which references the dub. Retrieved 14 Mar '17.
- TFP Discussion of the Series Retrieved 22 Feb '17.
- An archive of a forum talking about the Barbados English dub. Retrieved 22 Feb '17
- "Bajan in Japan" blog article that references the dub. Retrieved 22 Feb '17.
- User "Natz" commented about the series. Retrieved 22 Feb '17.
- User "Yeti" references it on this Anime Suki forum thread. Retrieved 22 Feb '17.
- Users "VC" and "tai" comment on remembering and searching for this dub. Retrieved 22 Feb '17.
- List of Canadian programs certified by the Commission Retrieved 07 Jun '19.
- Television/Radio Age magazine, 19 January 1987 issue. Retrieved 29 Dec '19.