Thomas & Friends: Day of the Diesels (lost original cut of direct-to-DVD film; existence unconfirmed; 2011)
In September of 2011, Thomas & Friends released its fifth direct-to-DVD special called Day of the Diesels. The special revolves around Percy making friends with Diesel 10 and the other diesels after feeling ignored by his best friend Thomas. The special gained generally positive reviews from both critics and fans.
While changes to Thomas productions are somewhat common and usually small, according to an interview fan website Sodor Island held with Sam Barlow, who served as the story/script executive of the show from the eighth to sixteenth season, there were several scenes that were cut from the final version that hasn't been released.
The Cuts[edit | edit source]
Little is known about the original version, although according to Sam, the changes and cuts were made as those scenes were deemed too scary for children.
Rupert Degas, who voiced Dart and Flynn in the special, was also originally supposed to voice Diesel 10. He recorded dialogue for the character but would end up being replaced by Matt Wilkinson. He says in an interview with Sodor Island that "someone felt my voice was a bit too scary, and someone else thought it was too camp, and someone else thought it was too theatrical." His line "The Steamworks is ours now!" still remains in the final cut for unknown reasons.
The latest mention of the original cut was on December 21, 2018, when SiForums and Fansite posted on Twitter about the subject.
"Original Day of the Diesels cut has never been released, it's likely to be gathering dust in HIT's vaults, but all we know about it is through word of mouth and a few visuals that have surfaced online ahead of release. If anything major comes up, we'll do a feature on it. Slf said It's in Mattel's archives, we don't have access to it and we've never seen the full cut."
- The Twitter post about the original version.
It is unknown if the original cut of the special still exists or how far into production the special was before the changes and cuts were made. It is also unknown how much of Degas' Diesel 10 lines were recorded and if they survive today.
An old rumor stated that on early airings of the special on PBS Kids Go! and PBS Kids Sprout used the original dark cut, however, this has since been proven to be false, as the first Sprout airing of the special was found and did not feature the darker cut, and the user Jamesandedward7 saw the original PBS airing of the special in 2012, recalling that it was identical to what you saw on DVD and Prime Video.
It's also been stated that the characters Dennis, Splatter, and Dodge were originally going to be in this movie, but it is unlikely that they were in this cut of the movie, though 3 characters who share the same bases as the previously mentioned characters do appear, so it is possible that Dennis, Splatter, and Dodge had a finished CGI model, but were retextured.
Videos[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- SiF interview w/ Sam Barlow. Retrieved 31 Jul '20
- SiF Twitter post about the original cut. Retrieved 31 Jul '20
- SiF interview w/ Rupert Degas Retrieved 31 Jul '20
See Also[edit | edit source]
Thomas & Friends[edit | edit source]
- Thomas & Friends "Jack Jumps In" (found Alec Baldwin narration of British children's TV series episode; 2002)
- Thomas & Friends "Series 7" (partially found original music of American dub of British children's TV series; mid 2000s)
- Thomas & Friends "Series 12" (partially found Pierce Brosnan narrations of British children's animated series; 2008)
Thomas the Tank Engine[edit | edit source]
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Season 3" (found Michael Angelis narriation of British children's TV series episodes; 1991)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Season 4" (found pre-recorded version of British children's TV series episodes; 1994)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "Down the Mine" (partially found unaired pitch pilot version of children's TV series; 1983)
- Thomas the Tank Engine "The Missing Coach" (partially found footage from unfinished episode of children's TV series; 1986)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (found deleted scenes of children's fantasy adventure film; 2000)
- Thomas the Tank Engine (lost pilot episode of unproduced 2D animated adaptation on "The Railway Series" books; 1976)
Other[edit | edit source]
- Thomas the Tank Engine (found original illustrated edition of book; 1946)
- Thomas and the U.K. Trip & Thomas Number 1 (found Japanese "Thomas the Tank Engine" crossover TV special and music video; 1993)
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company (miscellaneous lost media of spinoff series; existence unconfirmed; 2002)
- The Three Railway Engines (found original edition of book; 1945)
- Barry the Rescue Engine (lost production material on cancelled "The Railway Series" book; 1980s)
- The Sad Story of Henry (lost live BBC broadcast adaptation of "The Railway Series" books; 1953)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (lost test footage of 3.5" character models for British children's TV series; 1995)