User: Bluemothsword/Sandbox 2
Fire Emblem (partially found/lost early 4-koma manga anthologies based on tactical role-playing game franchise, 1994-2002)[edit | edit source]
Cover of the first known 4-koma manga, released in 1994.
Status: Partially Found/Lost (Subjected to change)
Since it's inception, the Fire Emblem franchise has received a number of manga adaptations, most of which have been 4-komas. The first series of 4-komas, Fire Emblem 4-koma Manga Theatre, was released between 1994 and 1997, with the first four covering the Archanea Saga, and the last two covering the fourth game, Genealogy of the Holy War. The franchise would continue to receive manga adaptations, until 2005, when Fire Emblem: Champion's Sword ended it's run. However, it started receiving manga adaptations again in 2012, with the release of a short manga adaptation of the then-newly released Fire Emblem Awakening. Meanwhile, after the release of The Binding Blade 4-komas in 2002, production of the 4-koma manga came into an abrupt halt for 13 years, until 2015, when Fire Emblem Awakening 4koma KINGS was released. The majority of the 4-koma anthologies are known to have a sillier and light-hearted tone than the usual dark tone seen throughout most of the Fire Emblem games.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Though 4-koma adaptations of games released during the 2010's are well accounted for, and A Day in the Life is currently ongoing as of 2017, the early ones based on the Archanea and Judgral Sagas, as well as The Binding Blade have been long out of print, with a vast majority having yet to be uploaded on the internet in their entirety; the main reason being that all of the 4-Koma adaptations released at the time were doujins made by fans of the series. Due to their obscurity, not much information is currently known for either of them. However, used copies of the early 4-koma mangas are still being sold online via various Japanese sites. There is currently no estimate as to how many 4-komas have been made between 1994 and 2002.
So far, all of the known Thracia 776 4-koma manga were scanned in their entirety by FlareHabanero, and were later uploaded to the Internet Archive by various users between March 4th and September 24th, 2019. A Twitter user, @BindingManga, also scanned, translated, and uploaded several 4-komas from Binding Blade Gag Battle, with the most recent being uploaded on June 1st, 2020. The rest of the early 4-komas of the series are scattered throughout various sites, most notably on Twitter. Also, a little-known Twitter bot, @ninten4koma, has continuously been posting scans of several early Fire Emblem 4-komas in rotation, but all it posts are the same several 4-komas, as the bot itself hasn't been updated for a very long time.
One 4-koma manga, Yaruze! Fire Emblem, which is centered around Genealogy of the Holy War 4-komas, was most likely not been scanned and uploaded online at all, and surviving copies are extremely hard to come by. A My Figure Collection user fcrtune is known to have one copy of the manga in his possession. However, he was last active on that site around June 2021, and his Carrd website link is defunct, so it is unknown if he would make the entire manga available to the public, if he still owns said copy.
Known 4-koma manga anthologies[edit | edit source]
(This table is subjected to change. Translations are probably inaccurate.)
|Fire Emblem 4-koma Manga Theatre||1994-1997||Partially Found|
|Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 4-koma Gag Battle Pursuit Edition||1998||Partially Found|
|Fire Emblem Gaiden 4-koma Manga Theater||Unknown||Partially Found|
|Yaruze! Fire Emblem||1997||Lost|
|Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 4koma Manga (Unofficial Title)||2000||Found|
|Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 Gag Battle 1||1999||Found|
|Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 Gag Battle 2||2000||Found|
|Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade Gag Battle||2002||Partially Found|
|Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade 4-koma Manga Kingdom||2002||Partially Found|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness (lost build of cancelled Nintendo 64DD tactical role-playing game; 1997-2000)
- Fire Emblem Wii (lost tech demo; late 2000s)
- Fire Emblem: Archanea Saga (partially lost original Satellaview version of "Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem" bonus content; 1997)
- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (lost early builds of Game Boy Advance tactical role-playing game; 1997-2002)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (partially found original Cristina Vee audio from English dub of Nintendo Switch tactical role-playing game; 2018-2019)
- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade promotional trial maps (lost promotional DLC of Game Boy Advance tactical role-playing game; 2002)
External Links[edit | edit source]
- MEGA archive folder consisting of the early 4-komas currently available online (Except those of Thracia 776). (Unfinished)
References[edit | edit source]
- Official website of Fire Emblem Heroes: A Day in the Life. Retrieved Dec 1 '21
- NIWA Fire Emblem Wiki's article of Fire Emblem Heroes: A Day in the Life. Retrieved Dec 1 '21
- Manga Republic listing for Yaruze! Fire Emblem. Retrieved Dec 1 '21
- fcrtune's My Figure Collection profile, where Yaruze! Fire Emblem is listed in. Retrieved Dec 1 '21