Goldeneye 007 (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy movie tie-in game; 1996)
Goldeneye 007 was an unreleased Virtual Boy game set to coincide with the release of both the console version of Goldeneye 007 (which at the time was being worked on as a Super Nintendo game) and the Virtual Boy itself. It’s unknown who was developing the game, as Rare has denied working on the game, though Nintendo may have developed it internally as they owned the rights to James Bond video games at the time.
This version of the game was completely different from the N64 version. Instead of being a first-person shooter, it appears that it would've been an action-racing game based on the few screenshots and the game's blurb. Little else is known about how the game would've played.
Cancellation and Availability
Nintendo eventually decided to cancel their Fall 1996 line up of Virtual Boy games, including Goldeneye 007, due to the Virtual Boy's commercial failure. The only remaining evidence of the game are two screenshots and a publicity blurb from a brochure for the game that read:
"If you thought rush-hour traffic was a nightmare, wait ’til you get behind the wheel of 007’s car. Avoid obstacles and blow the other cars away. Buckle up for safety because, in this game, you never know what’s gonna happen."
No prototypes or ROMs for the game can be found, and it's nearly impossible to track down any developers due to the team being unknown.
- Doraemon: Nobita no Doki Doki! Obake Land (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy action game based on manga; 1996)
- Dragon Hopper (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy action-adventure game; 1995-1996)
- Mario Bros. VB (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy remake of "Mario Bros." arcade game; 1994)
- Mario Demo (lost Virtual Boy tech demo; 1994)
- Out of the Deathmount (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy game; 1996)
- Shin Nihon Pro Wrestling Gekitou Densetsu (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy wrestling game; 1995)
- Sora Tobu Henry (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy action game; 1995)
- VB Mario Land (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy platformer; 1995)
- Virtual Block (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy game; 1995)
- Virtual Dodgeball (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy game; 1995)
- Virtual Jockey (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy horse-racing simulation game; 1996)
- Wangan Sensen Red City (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy game; 1996)
- Zero Racers (lost finished "F-Zero" Virtual Boy racing spin-off game; 1996)
- GoldenEye 007 (found build of cancelled Xbox Live Arcade remaster of Nintendo 64 first-person shooter; 2007-2008)
- Calvin - Bond Reviewer (partially found episodes of internet review series; 2010)
- Goldfinger (partially found deleted scenes from James Bond movie; 1964)
- James Bond 007: A License To Thrill (partially found motion simulator ride; 1998-2002)
- John Smith: Special Agent (found original version of "James Bond Jr." NES game; 1991)
- Omnibus: The British Hero (lost television documentary; 1973)
- Per Fine Ounce (partially found manuscript of James Bond novel; 1966)
- The Property of a Lady (lost production material of cancelled James Bond film; 1990-1993)
- Warhead 2000 (cancelled James Bond film; 1996-1999)
- You Only Live Twice (lost Jan Werich footage of spy film; 1967)
- Planet Virtual Boy review of Goldeneye 007 (Virtual Boy). Retrieved 14 Mar '20
- MI6 article on Goldeneye 007 (Virtual Boy). Retrieved 15 Aug '16
- Unseen64 article on Goldeneye 007 (Virtual Boy). Retrieved 15 Aug '16