Detective Conan (unaired English dub pilot for Fox Kids; existence unconfirmed; 2000)
(Redirected from Detective Conan (Unaired English Dub Pilot for Fox Kids; Existence Unconfirmed; 2000))
|Common poster image for the anime.|
Through early-to-mid 2000, there were various articles announcing the acquisition. But ultimately, the series never showed up on the network, most likely due to the violent content within the episodes.
In December, a rumor began to circulate stating that a pitch pilot had been produced through TMS for Fox Kids, titled Conan's Capers. It was spliced together from the first three episodes, with all references to death and violence removed and the plot of the first episode summarized within five minutes.
The alleged name changes included:
- Shinichi Kudo being renamed to "Peter Grey", while his Conan Edogawa alter-ego became "Conan Isaac".
- Kogoro Mouri and Ran Mouri being renamed to "Slick Lacey" and "Rebecca Lacey".
However, the veracity of the rumor was left up in the air, along with a later claim that the pitch pilot had aired at least once. Other statements in the original thread relating to the pilot indicated that the series was being held up from airing on Fox due to trouble with the network's Broadcast Standards and Practices department (and a Google Groups thread by a network rep also indicated it being "in limbo").
It is unknown how far the actual dub may have gotten before Fox passed on airing the series, and any full details on the history behind it have been difficult to acquire.
- Detective Conan newsgroup, 2000. Retrieved August 30, 2014
- Anime News Network, June 19, 2000. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Media Life Magazine, April 2000. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Detective Conan Mailing List, December 2000 Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Detective Conan Mailing List, May 2003 Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Google Groups discussion, August 2000. Retrieved September 10, 2014.