Nick News with Linda Ellerbee (partially lost Nickelodeon news program; 1992-2015)
|The logo for the series on iTunes.|
Nick News with Linda Ellerbee (also known as Nick News W/5 in its earliest years) was an irregularly scheduled half-hour news program on Nickelodeon that began on April 18, 1992 (it is possible some episodes claimed to have aired in 1991 were simply aired as Nickelodeon specials). The show focused on news events and discussion with children about issues in the world. Despite low ratings for Nickelodeon, the show was successful in classroom and educational settings, and aired a total of 178 episodes between 1992 and 2015.
The show received a number of VHS releases, the majority of which are now difficult to find: the episodes "A Conversation with Magic", "Stranger Danger", "Clearing the Air", "When Bad Things Happen", "Kids of Cons", and "There's No Place Like Home" were released on VHS.
Only one DVD release of the show occurred: the episode "Under the Influence: Kids of Alcoholics".
Due to the lack of major home video or digital releases of episodes from 1992 to 2010, a large number of them have been lost/not posted anywhere online. A small portion of episodes that are not present on the IMDb episode guide have appeared on YouTube, making it likely there are even more lost episodes that are not on the episode guide.
Episodes from 2010 to 2014 are available as free podcasts on iTunes, and some late episodes can be found on Nickelodeon's official website for the series.
Known missing episodes
- Kids Talk About the Middle East
- The Day The Earth Threw Up
- It's Only Television
- A Conversation With Magic (two promos exist, one confirming this episode was also broadcast as a special event on Canada's YTV channel)
- A Dream on Fire
- Who Wants to be President? (a promo has been found)
- Plan It for the Planet
- Are You What You Watch? (a promo has been found)
- Stranger Danger (a "review" of sorts by someone who owns the VHS has been found)
- Space Shuttle, Phone Home
- The Big Help
- Stories from the Dream
- When Bad Things Happen...
- After the Verdict
- Clearing the Air (WorldCat listing of libraries that claim to have the VHS release)
- Giants (a promo has been found)
- The Body Trap
- Kids and Guns (1996 and 1999 versions)
- Kids Pick the President 1996
- Peace on Earth
- Online and Off the Wall
- Are We Alone?
- What Are You Staring At?
- Divorce: Caught in the Middle (a promo has been found)
- Emergency? Ask a Kid!
- The Clinton Crisis
- Gone But Not Forgotten: Kids Talk About Loss and Grieving
- The Fight to Fit In
- Never Forget? The Balkans: Why We're There, Why You Care
- Rachel/AIDS (title unconfirmed, but used in news reports)
- Nick News Presents LifeStory: Muhammad Ali
- Kids Pick the President 2000
- What Was That About? The Weird (But True) Story of Election 2000
- A World of Difference
- Nick News Presents LifeStory: Rosie O'Donnell
- Kids, Terrorism and the American Spirit
- Turning Ten: A Nick News Celebration
- My Family Is Different
- The Thrill of the Chill: Kids and Stress
- The Iraq Question: American Kids Talk About War
- Iraq: Facts, Fears and Feelings
- Get Up Offa That Thang
- There's No Place Like Home: Homeless Kids in America
- This Land Was My Land: Kids on Reservations
- The Courage to Live: South Africa & AIDS
- The Legacy of Slavery
- Keeping Faith: Muslim Kids in America
- Look Before You Eat
- On the Road with Circus Kids
- Rollin' Down the River: Kids Explore the Amazon
- ¡Mi America!: A Celebration of Hispanic Culture
- Kids Pick the President 2004
- So You Wanna Be a Star?
- Living with AIDS: A Story of Three Kids
- What's Wrong with Me?
- Safari So Good (a clip has been found)
- Ten Things I Hate About School
- The Worst Years of My Life: Surviving Middle School
- Do Something! Caring for the Kids of Katrina
- Harvest of Hope
- A Nick News Adventure: The Great Wave Train
- The Fight to Be Fit
- Ten Things Wrong with TV
- God, Science, Politics and Your School
- Strangers in a Strange Land (the first twelve minutes have been found)
- When I Think About Iraq: Kids Talk About the War
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow - Celebrating 15 Years of Nick News
- Wound Up for the Round Up
- Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns to Hate
- Online and in Danger? How to Protect Yourself in the Virtual World
- Rebels With a Cause! (was at one point available on TurboNick)
- Kids of Cons
- Teachers Talk Back