Greatest Ever Screen Chases (lost Sky One television documentary; 2005)
Greatest Ever Screen Chases was a 2005 television special produced by Sky One and was initially broadcast on December 23rd of that year. At over two hours in length, it consisted of a countdown of what was believed to be the 30 greatest on-screen chases, ranging from real police chases such as O.J. Simpson's to iconic movie scenes. It was presented by Richard Hammond, then known as an eminent host of BBC's Top Gear, and followed on the back of two earlier car-centric television specials produced by Sky which are both available online, albeit presented by Jason Barlow, a former host of the aforementioned car show.
The special is known to have been directed by Tim Hopewell, executively-produced by Mark Robinson, and edited by Kate Dobson. It featured scenes produced by Stunts International. Despite a primary focus on car chases, reinforced by Sky's decision to use Hammond as host, the special also contained non-car chases, such as Indiana Jones' escape from a boulder in The Temple of Doom. Certain scenes included additional input from renowned actors and actresses including Susan Sarandon and Gene Hackman. The eventual winner of the special, Bullitt's car chase scene, featured a segment where Chad McQueen, son of Steve McQueen, gave an interview whilst stood next to the movie's signature Ford Mustang.
From news clippings and forum posts made of the special, it can be ascertained that the special contained the following, although the general order is unknown, aside from the top 3:
- Bad Boys 2 van chase scene, 2003
- Bullitt Mustang vs. Charger chase scene, 1968 (Winner)
- The French Connection car vs. L-train chase scene, 1971 (3rd)
- The Matrix: Reloaded freeway chase scene, 2003
- Night of the Living Dead zombie chase scene, 1968
- O.J. Simpson's police chase, 1994
- The Rock Ferrari vs. Hummer chase scene, 1996
- The Temple of Doom boulder chase scene, 1985
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day storm drain chase scene, 1991 (2nd)
Greatest Ever Screen Chases premiered on Sky One on December 23rd, 2005. It is then known to have re-aired on Sky 2 on August 1st, 2006, on Sky 3 on July 25th, 2007, and a final time on Sky One on May 23rd, 2008.
There are no known publicly-available recordings of Greatest Ever Screen Chases, and it appears the special never aired again following its 2008 airing. It was never released on any form of home media, nor is the special available for online streaming.
- IMDb page for Greatest Ever Screen Chases. Retrieved 06 May '20
- Pressreader article on the special, focusing on O.J. Simpson's police chase. Retrieved 06 May '20
- YouTube - Sky One: Movies' Greatest Cars. Retrieved 06 May '20
- YouTube - Sky One: TV's Greatest Cars. Retrieved 06 May '20
- Revolution Talent PDF concerning Tim Hopwell's past work as director. Retrieved 06 May '20
- The North West Editors' Guild page for Kate Dobson. Retrieved 06 May '20
- 4frv - Stunts International. Retrieved 06 May '20
- The Telegraph - Today's TV and Radio choices for December 23rd, 2005. Retrieved 06 May '20
- PistonHeads forum thread covering its 2006 re-airing. Retrieved 06 May '20
- Red and White Kop forum thread covering its 2007 re-airing. Retrieved 06 May '20
- Issuu - Latest 7: Issue 373 for the 20-26 May 2008. Retrieved 06 May '20