Greed (partially found Fox game show; 1999-2000)
Greed was an American game show hosted by Chuck Woolery that aired on Fox from November 4th, 1999, to July 14th, 2000. Following the success of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Fox attempted their own primetime hit where once contestants could possibly win over $2,000,000. Unfortunately, Greed did not capture the success of Millionaire and was cancelled in July 2000 after just 44 episodes. Despite the lacklustre success, some of the episodes have resurfaced.
Background[edit | edit source]
In the ever-expanding market of entertainment, tv shows have come and gone. One popular genre that has allowed for people to win amazing prizes is that of game shows. In 1999, ABC launched the successful game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire to very positive ratings and reviews. Fox, wanting to up the competition, launched their own television show Greed that same year. Whereas the top prize in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was a total of $1 million, the top prize for Greed would be $2 million.
Syndication[edit | edit source]
Greed first debuted on Fox on November 4th, 1999, with modest success. While successful, Greed was not the exact hit that Fox was aiming for, and the show was cancelled after the conclusion of its first season in 2000. In 2002, the television station GSN picked up the syndication rights to re-run Greed. Re-runs would air on GSN from 2002 until 2008.
Episodes[edit | edit source]
Below is a list of all the episodes and their availability status.
|1 & 2||Nov 4th, 1999||Found|
|3||Nov 11th, 1999||Found|
|4||Nov 18th, 1999||Found|
|5||Nov 24th, 1999||Lost|
|6||Dec 2nd, 1999||Lost|
|7||Dec 9th, 1999||Found|
|8||Dec 10th, 1999||Lost|
|9||Dec 16th, 1999||Found|
|10||Jan 5th, 2000||Found|
|11||Jan 6th, 2000||Found|
|12||Jan 7th, 2000||Lost|
|13||Jan 14th, 2000||Found|
|14||Jan 21st, 2000||Found|
|15||Jan 28th, 2000||Lost|
|16||Feb 4th, 2000||Partially Found|
|17||Feb 11th, 2000||Found|
|18||Feb 18th, 2000 ( | )||Partially Lost|
|19||Feb 25th, 2000 (Tournament of Losers)||Lost|
|20||Mar 1st, 2000||Lost|
|21||Mar 3rd, 2000 (TV Greed)||Found|
|22||Mar 6th, 2000 (That ‘70s Greed Part 1)||Found|
|23||Mar 7th, 2000 (That ‘70s Greed Part 2)||Found|
|24||Mar 10th, 2000||Lost|
|25||Mar 17th, 2000 ( |  |  | )||Found|
|26||Mar 24th, 2000||Lost|
|27||Mar 31st, 2000||Found|
|28||April 7th, 2000||Found|
|29||April 14th, 2000||Found|
|30||April 21st, 2000||Lost|
|31||April 25th, 2000||Lost|
|32||April 28th, 2000 (Super Greed)||Found|
|33||May 2nd, 2000 (Super Greed)||Found|
|34||May 5th, 2000 (Super Greed) (1 | 2 | 3)||Partially Found|
|35||May 12th, 2000 (Super Greed) (1 | 2)||Partially Found|
|36||May 19th, 2000 (Super Greed)||Lost|
|37||May 26th, 2000 (College Greed)||Found|
|38||June 2nd, 2000||Lost|
|39||June 9th, 2000||Lost|
|40||June 16th, 2000||Lost|
|41||June 23rd, 2000||Lost|
|42||June 30th, 2000||Lost|
|43||July 7th, 2000||Partially Found|
|44||July 14th, 2000||Lost|
Availability[edit | edit source]
GSN picked up Greed in 2002 and aired every episode except for That ‘70s Greed Part 1 due to it being only a half-hour long; however, both parts would be uploaded to YouTube by "Game Show Wonderland+" in 2021. Greed hasn’t aired on GSN since 2008, and most of the episodes have not resurfaced on the internet but most of the missing episodes exist among private collecters.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
International versions[edit | edit source]
Despite Greed not being as successful as initially hoped, it did inspire numerous international spin-offs. Where the international versions differ from the U.S. version of Greed is that all international versions were made by the British production company Fremantle.
- Ya Qatel ya Maqtoul (Arabic يا قاتل يا مقتول) aired in Lebanon on LBC in 2002.
- Codicia aired in Argentina on the El Trece in 2001.
- Mission 1 million aired in France on M6 network from November 27th, 2000, until December 8th, 2000.
- Ca$h—Das eine Million Mark-Quiz aired in Germany on the ZDF network from November 2000 until April 2001.
- Gr€€d aired in Italy on the Raidue channel from September 18th, 2000, until April 6th, 2001.
- A Febre do Dinheiro aired in Portugal on the SIC network.
- Алчность aired in Russia on NTV from September 10th, 2001, until April 30th, 2002.
- Aslan Payı aired in Turkey on aTV in 2000.
- Gr££d aired in the United Kingdom on Channel 5 from May 18th, 2001, until June 5th, 2001.
- La fiebre del dinero aired in Venezuela on Venevision in 2001.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Fan site that accounts all the episodes Retrieved 06 May '20
References[edit | edit source]
- Article about Fox launching Greed Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- Article on Ya Qatel ya Maqtoul Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- A pdf about Codicia Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- article on Mission 1 million Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- IMDB Ca$h-Das wine Million Mark-Quiz Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- An article on Gr€€d Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- An article A Febre do Dinheiro Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- an article on Алчность Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- Article on Aslan Payı Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- article on Gr££d Retrieved 4 Jun '20
- article on La fiebre del dinero Retrieved 4 Jun '20