Igdoof (found comics by Jeff Kinney; 1989-1993)
The titular character.
Date found: Various dates
Found by: Villanova University, and various users
Igdoof was a comic strip that ran from 1989 to 1993, written by Jeff Kinney, author of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It ran on the campus newspaper of Villanova University for approximately one year before he switched to the University of Maryland, where Igdoof spent its remaining run. When Jeff Kinney ended the strip, he attempted to get it into newspapers but got rejected. In response, he decided to make a book, which would eventually become Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Igdoof was a comic featuring the titular character being a student in college. While there, he would have to deal with getting to class on time, having a roommate, and studying for tests.
Similarities between Igdoof and Diary of a Wimpy Kid[edit | edit source]
- Igdoof draws himself identically to how Greg draws himself, the main character of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- Igdoof’s younger brother’s design was recycled into Greg’s younger brother, Manny.
- Igdoof writes a comic featuring “Ugly Eugene”. Ugly Eugene would eventually appear in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book.
- Igdoof has a comic featuring "Pooshfa the Green Bean". Pooshfa would reappear in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book too, but with the name of Gareth.
- One comic featured the "Fart Police", who would later appear in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book.
- Igdoof's science experiment in one strip is "Do Plants Sneeze?", which would be used by Rodrick in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules.
- Igdoof pitches "Jerome, the Guy with Incredibly Red Lips" in one strip. This character would go on to appear in the original online version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid on Funbrain, and then later in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book along with Eugene and Pooshfa/Gareth.
- One strip features "L'il Eugene", a precursor to "L'il Cutie" in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. Even the same line, "Mommy, is rain just God sweating?", is used.
Availability[edit | edit source]
For a long time, very little was known about Igdoof, and most that were known about it came from a biography on Jeff Kinney. Only about a handful of Igdoof comics surfaced.
On June 10th, 2021, all Igdoof strips that ran between 1992 and 1993 were uploaded to the Internet Archive.
Finally, on June 30th, 2021, all remaining Igdoof comics from Villanova University were found to be archived and preserved within Villanova University's own archival of The Villanovan newspaper.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- A page about Gymkana mentioning where Igdoof ran. Retrieved 19 Mar '21
- Internet Archive page featuring all Igdoof strips that ran in the Diamondback Newspaper. Retrieved 28 Jun '21