ReBoot: The Upgrade (partially found cancelled animated film trilogy; 2007-2011)
|Key image from the teaser website.|
ReBoot: The Upgrade was a planned trilogy of CG-animated films by Rainmaker Entertainment meant to relaunch the 1994-2001 Canadian animated television series ReBoot. The title for the film project was never officially shared, but the Writer's Guild of Canada as well as some of Rainmaker's employees list the project as ReBoot: The Upgrade.
On July 23, 2007, Rainmaker announced its intention to relaunch the ReBoot franchise through a trilogy of feature films as well as a competition to create a webcomic. In November 2007, the film trilogy was described as being produced in stereoscopic 3D.
In February 2008, the company handling the web comic competition announced that Rainmaker was now accepting script pitches for the new films. Jeffrey Campbell, whose Arrival pitch won the web comic contest, submitted a script for the film project, but was ultimately turned down by Rainmaker. On June 2, 2008, Jon Cooksey was announced as the writer for the first film, though he left the project shortly after due to creative differences. At the 2008 New York Comic-Con, the first movie was described as being 18 months to 2 years away.
In March 2011, Rainmaker reaffirmed that the studio had a ReBoot film project on the way, though this would become the last time it was ever officially spoken of. Wilson J. Tang, who lists himself as both the director and consulting director on the film, indicates 2011 was the final year the film was in production on his resume. This is backed up by another Rainmaker employee, who lists the project's end date as that year.
In April 2013, Rainmaker's Michael Hefferon publicly confirmed the film trilogy was dead. That September, the company announced that a new ReBoot television series was in development. This project would later be revealed to be the live-action/CG-animated hybrid ReBoot: The Guardian Code.
- CMPA (formerly CFTPA) Signatory Producers 2010 - 2011 Animation Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Giorgio Bertolone Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- James Burke Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Early CG TV show gets "ReBoot" Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- [Rainmaker Announces Agreement to Sell Post Production and Visual Effects Operations to Deluxe http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/rainmaker-announces-agreement-sell-post-production-visual-effects-operations-deluxe-tsx-rnk.un-797876.htm] Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- ReBoot Movies are Underway! Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- ReBoot Movie Article on Zeros2Heroes Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Some Bad and Good News Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Cooksey joins Rainmaker for 'ReBoot' Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Cooksey is Out Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- NYCC 2008 - ReBoot Panel Part 6 Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Revamped Rainmaker Site – ReBoot Teaser Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Sneak peek of ReBoot movie Guardian? Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Rainmaker Reports Results for the Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2010 Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Wilson J. Tang - Professional Profile Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Toonami Faithful Podcast #41 – Reboot The Podcast – Featuring Michael Hefferon Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Rainmaker Entertainment Inc. Reboots Mainframe Entertainment As Its New Television Division Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- WOW! UNLIMITED MEDIA’S MAINFRAME STUDIOS AND CORUS ENTERTAINMENT BEGIN NEXT PHASE OF PRODUCTION ON REBOOT: THE GUARDIAN CODE Retrieved September 12, 2017.