Ura Zelda (lost build of unfinished Nintendo 64DD game; existence unconfirmed; 2000)
Ura Zelda (裏ゼルダ in Japanese, translated as "Other Zelda") was an add-on to the Nintendo 64 game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the short-lived Nintendo 64 Disk Drive. The project was dropped due to the cancellation of the Nintendo 64DD worldwide and the discontinuation of it in Japan.
History and Availability
Ura Zelda added many things to the original game, some of which may have been intended for the original release, but were cut due to time and memory constraints on the game. Some beta elements may have been intended to be re-added: the lost sword beam attack and the quest for the Triforce rather than the spiritual stones may have been intended to return. The fabled "Unicorn Fountain" however, claimed to be entered through Zora's domain, is often mistaken for being Ura footage while it was actually from early beta footage, and seems to have been an early design for the great fairy fountain (there is text supporting that the fountain would come to life, and the accompanying images show the early version of the Great Fairy in an identical room to the fountain; she is also the same color as the fountain). It also added things to the original game like improved cutscenes and graphics and an unused feature that saved things permanently, such as if a sign was broken it would not fix itself. Using a GameShark, it is possible to see a cuttable bush that may have been planned for the Ura version in the existing game.
On the 25th of July, 2020, a second so-called "Nintendo Gigaleak" has showcased more content from Ura Zelda, basically making the game found.
In mid-2013, a group of fans and an artist called ZethN64 attempted to recreate Ura Zelda in a project called Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA until it was cancelled by ZethN64 himself. On August 9th, 2016, another fan known as Alex S on GBATemp.net salvage a lot of files from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA and promised to assemble to complete and finish the project in a new project called "Another Restoration of Ura Zelda", also known as "Project ARUZ".
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time URA Restoration Project
- Nintendo 64 Disk Drive (partially found unreleased video games for Nintendo 64 add-on; late 1990s-early 2000s)
- Zelda Gaiden (lost beta version of "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" action-adventure game; late 1990s)
- BS Zelda no Densetsu (partially lost Satellaview game; 1995)
- An article about Ura Zelda on Zeldapedia. Retrieved 20 Jun '19
- A playlist with footage from one of the projects to restore the game. Retrieved 20 Jun '19
- The soundtrack from one of the projects. Retrieved 20 Jun '19
- Archived IGN interview with Miyamoto about Ura Zelda. Retrieved 29 Apr '20
- Mega folder containing all leaked content, including "Ura Zelda". Retrieved 26 Jul '20