Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Gold Rush (lost build of unreleased "Touhou" spin-off game; 2014)
Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush (弾幕アマノジャク ゴールドラッシュ), also known as Gold Rush, is a one stage Touhou mini game made for the Digital Game Expo 2014’s Doujin Shooting Game Caravan contest. The game was not made for public or retail release.
The game played similarly to Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card (弾幕アマノジャク ～ Impossible Spell Card), where the player has a limited number "cheat" items for them to use in order to survive and clear spell cards. However, unlike the latter, the player is unable to shoot the enemy, using the Substitute Jizo (身代わり地蔵) to hit up to 5 times. Her primary item of the game the 10th "rule-breaking" item Miracle Mallet (Real) (打ち出の小槌（本物）), is used to break various danmaku and danmaku chains, and convert them into koban (小判), an oval-shaped Japanese gold coin from the Edo Period.
The player controls Kijin Seija (鬼人 正邪), who is challenged to battle Hakurei Reimu (博麗 霊夢), the boss in the game.
There is only one stage in the game. The goal of the game is to get the highest score by transforming the boss's danmaku into koban in a few minutes, without continues.
Development and Show
Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush was first announced by ZUN from Team Shanghai Alice (上海アリス幻樂団) on November 14, 2014, via his Twitter account, as a mini game for the Doujin Shooting Game Caravan contest, in the Digital Game Expo 2014. Although at the time of his announcement he has yet to develop the game. Utilizing the engine for Impossible Spell Card, which was released earlier in May of the same year, he made a short low-difficulty game in less than 2 days, the purpose of which is to score the player's attack.
On the day of the Digital Game Expo, players who attended were given one try to play the game in one go. After their turn was over, their score was recorded on a sheet of paper alongside the scores of the other games they've played at the event. The players could play again after submitting their entire score sheet and getting a new one.
ZUN has stated prior that the game will not be for sale and is only to be played at the Doujin Shooting Game Caravan. Because of this, the game became lost after the expo concluded.
Development and Release
Sometime later in the year, a Chinese programmer developer created an unofficial reconstruction of the game, in order for other people to experience what the game initially was like during the Doujin Shooting Game Caravan. The information used to make the game was taken from the experiences and descriptions from the players at the Digital Game Expo, as well as videos taken at the event, as an attempt to make the gameplay as true to the original.
Differences in Fan-Reconstruction
There is a fan-made reconstruction of the game with some slight differences, such as:
- The title screen text is slightly to the right compared to the original and the background is more yellow.
- The arrows on the title screen are less visible.
- When the player collects kobans in the original, sparkles appear. The remake doesn’t have this.
- Whenever the player activates the miracle mallet (real) in the original, the image on the right will dim to show that the player can’t use it until it un-dims. This doesn’t happen in the remake.
- The character themes in the original Gold Rush are arrangements made for the game. The remake just takes themes from the original game, Impossible Spell Card.
- Doujinstyle download of the fan remake. Retrieved 20 Feb '19
- Touhou Wiki page about the game. Retrieved 20 Feb '19
- Touhou Wiki page about the remake. Retrieved 20 Feb '19