Beavis and Butt-Head (lost build of cancelled arcade beat 'em up game based on MTV sitcom; 1996)
Beavis and Butt-Head is a cancelled 1996 arcade beat 'em up game that was in development by Atari based on the popular MTV cartoon of the same name. The game was built using 3DO-based hardware. The game borrows ideas from the cartoon, alternately asking players to work together or fight each other (outside in a mud pit using boxing gloves on the end of baseball bats, naturally).
It was tested poorly and was never completed (four of six levels were done). Another reason for the game's cancellation was because Midway bought Atari and cancelled all of Atari's projects such as Primal Rage II.
Twelve prototype machines of the game were sold at an MTV auction in 1999, and several of them were seen in California Extreme from 2007 to 2013.
On April 6th, 2016, Galloping Ghost Arcade picked up prototype #9 of the game after Jeremy Fox of Prince Arcades sold it and was not working. They were able to get it working again by finding a used 3DO in the next day. The game was now playable at the Galloping Ghost Arcade. However, they refused to release the ROM online.
In 2017, a Reddit user on r/MAME named 'btc08' posted the following comment:
Wow. I picked up Beevis and Butthead serial number 00001 for $50 when Midway Games shutdown our Milpitas location. It's still my current cabinet. I kept everything intact during the conversion. Kinda glad I did but I had no idea it was rare at the time.
Several users on r/MAME have tried to contact btc08 and talk to the user about dumping the game, but to no avail.
- Beavis and Butt-head Do Hollywood (lost build of unreleased PlayStation action-adventure game based on MTV sitcom; 1998)
- Wired article about the arcade games from California Extreme. Retrieved 19 Jun '16
- Kotaku article on one of the Beavis and Butt-Head arcade prototypes being found and restored. Retrieved 19 Jun '16
- California Extreme Games list from 2013 that includes Beavis and Butt-Head. Retrieved 19 Jun '16
- Tech Times article on the restoration of Beavis and Butt-Head. Retrieved 19 Jun '16.
- Galloping Ghost Arcade news announcing the acquiring of prototype #9 of Beavis and Butt-Head. Retrieved 19 Jun '16
- r/MAME comments which btc08 used for his post. Retrieved 25 Jan '20