Guitar Hero (lost original beta build/unused beta elements of PlayStation 2 rhythm game; 2005)
In 2005, the first Guitar Hero game was released for the PlayStation 2. Critics gave it overwhelmingly positive scores, and for a point in time, it was the best selling PlayStation 2 game. (Although eventually that title was taken by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.) However, the original beta build of Guitar Hero was completely different from the final build.
Some differences include:
- The colors of the frets are the colors of the rainbow, with the exception of indigo and violet.
- The score gets built up in sections and then added to the current score, similar to the game Karaoke Revolution.
- The song "Spanish Castle Magic" was going to have vocals.
- Many songs were going to have different charts.
- The graphics and animations are different.
- There are no hammer-ons or pull-offs.
- There is no star power.
- There is no combo meter, all notes gave 50 points.
- The whammy bar wasn't implemented yet, as stated by an unknown person in the May 24th video at 0:45; "The whammy bar is not implemented yet I know but they're working on it, next week is when the [inaudible]," which may suggest it would be added by the next set of videos in June, but it doesn't seem to be present in any of the June videos.
The only footage of the beta is from various posted by GameSpot from late May of 2005 and mid June of 2005. There are more videos from GameSpot, but they are from a later build of the game.