Justice League (lost original unreleased Zack Snyder cut of film; existence unconfirmed; 2017)
Justice League Snyder Cut is a hypothetical director's cut of the 2017 film Justice League by Zack Snyder. A personal tragedy hitting Zack Snyder during the post-production of the Justice League was given to director Josh Whedon. Many issues arose after Zack Synder departing the project leaving many critical scenes of Justice League out of the movie. With the release of Justice League, fans were calling for the release of the Synder Cut of the film. While this cut has never been confirmed by Zack Synder or Warner Brothers, claims have arisen that Warner Brother's executives and some of Zack Synder's friends and family have seen the movie while Jason Momoa (Aquaman) has confirmed that the film exists and has personally seen the Synder cut.
The DC extended universe began with the release of Man of Steel in 2013. The goal of the DC extended universe was to bring together the various DC comics characters into one shared universe like the Marvel extended universe. Initial plans called for a Justice League film date back to 2007 when it was announced that the Justice League would be released in 2008. This planned film was canceled due to the writers guild strike. In October of 2014, Warner Brothers announced that a two-part Justice League film with part one slated for a 2017 release date.
Production for Justice League began on April 11th, 2016, and wrapped up in December of 2016 and was filmed on 35 mm footage. After the release of Batman V. Superman Dawn of Justice in March of 2016, Warner Brothers was concerned that Zack Synder's film would have been too dark. While Zack Synder had intended for the film to become progressively lighter in nature throughout its run, Warner Brothers forced a rewrite of the script. After screening the film and making strides to make the film lighter, reports say the Warner Brothers executives were still not happy with the final movie. Some reports even go as far to say the Zack Synder may have been fired from Justice League. On May 22, 2017, director Zack Synder left production of Justice League due to a family tragedy. leaving director Joss Whedon to take charge of the production.
Once Josh Whedon took over production, drastic changes were made to Zack Synder's vision of the film. Warner Brothers demanded that the was to be reduced to a two-hours long as opposed to releasing the three and a half-hour movie. Many changes had to be made in order to meet Warner Brother's demands. Changes included reshooting entire scenes, while other changes took out characters who were critical to Zack Synder's version of the movie. Confirmed changes made to Justice League include:
- Replacing Junkie XL's score with Danny Elfman
- A redesign of Steppenwolf's character to the design that was used in Batman V. Superman
- Batman having a siren that attracts Parademons
- Lex Luther teaching Batman about Parademons with Lex Luther being removed from the movie.
- Darkshield being removed from the movie entirely
- A scene where Wonder Woman explores a shrine that contains an ancient invasion of Earth was cut.
- Superman's story being reshot
- Cyborg learning more about his mother being cut
- Flash running out of a corner store to save Iris West from being hit from a car being cut from the film
- Aquaman finding the Dead King's throne with the Dead King on it. Replaced with a dead Atlantian soldier in front of where the Dead King stood before.
- Aquaman's mythology was reshot.
- Cutting Mera from Aquaman's backstory.
- The entire Justice League standing over Clark Kent's grave was cut from the film.
- A continuation of the Knightmare scene from Batman V. Superman was cut.
- A scene where Lois Lane visiting Superman's memorial was cut.
- Lois and Martha's side story were replaced.
- A scene where Lois and Clark reunite at a farm was reshot.
- Recontextualizing the Wayne Aerospace Hanger to be a part of the Batcave.
- A scene where Alfred meets the Justice League was cut.
- The number of scenes that took place at S.T.A.R. Labs was reduced.
- Removing The Atom from the movie entirely
- Silas Stone was to have a longer storyline and was supposed to be killed off.
- A significant reduction in the military subplot
- Cyborg saving a police officer from a humvee that Superman throws
- Superman in his black suit was cut.
- A scene where Superman takes his first flight was cut.
- A scene where Superman meets Alfred was cut.
- Superman being unhinged in the final battle
- A scene where Mera and Steppenwolf fight was cut
- Steppenwolf's defeat would have ended as a cliffhanger.
- Silas Stone was to give the closing monologue to the movie as opposed to Louis Lane.
- Introducing Vulko during Aquaman's ending in order to set up the beginning for Aquaman
- Lex Luthor’s post-credit dialogue would have teased the Legion of Doom.
The Synder cut of Justice League has never been confirmed as official by Warner Brothers or Zack Snyder and is merely a nickname given to all of the scenes, characters, and overall changes made to Justice League. Despite this, actor Jason Momoa who plays Aquaman has confirmed that the Synder Cut does indeed exist and has even claimed to have seen it. Jason Momoa has even gone into great detail to confirm which scenes and characters were cut and is vocal about getting Synder Cut released. Soon after Jason Momoa went public about the Synder Cut, Zack Synder released a still from Aquaman's ending in Justice League. Currently, many fans are calling for the release of Synder Cut. As of the writing of this article, Zack Synder and Warner Brothers have yet to confirm the existence of the Synder cut, nor has it been released. Though once in awhile Zack Synder releases never before seen stills from the film.
- Article about the 2007 Justice League film. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- WB announcing a two-part Justice League movie. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- Article that states the beginning of production of Justice League. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- Zack Synder confirming that the film's tone would change throughout the run. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- an Article that reports on the post-production drama. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- Article about Zack Synder departing the project. Retrieved 23 Oct '19
- Article that details all of the confirmed cuts from Justice League. Retrieved 24 Oct '19
- Article about Jason Momoa talking about the Synder Cut. Retrieved 24 Oct '19