Kuwagata Tsumami (partially found Japanese web anime; 2005-2010)
Kuwagata Tsumami (くわがたツマミ) (aka Kuwagata Tumami) is a Japanese flash comedy shorts anime created by Rareko and debuted in 2005. It revolves on Tsumami, a little girl who is half-human, half stag beetle. She is the daughter of a human woman and a stag beetle man. Some other characters are also human-insect hybrids. There were 84 episodes released between 2005 and fall 2010.
The series gained popularity in Japan after a screening at the JAWACON 2005 convention. It was initially hosted on its own website, and from 2007 the Japanese website Livedoor. In 2007, a DVD which included the first 30 episodes and bonus features was released. Other merchandise included toys, t-shirts, a guide book, and a Nintendo DS game.
The series became obscure and partly lost, and Rareko is now better known for directing the more famous anime series Gakkatsu! and Aggretsuko. The Livedoor sites for Kuwagata Tsumami and its sister series Soft Tank had shutdown in 2012. Due to the DVD containing the first 30 episodes, episodes 31 to 84 are most likely lost. However, their details are found on at least one Japanese blog, not to mention Internet Archive pages of the series' official site.
The opening and a couple of episodes can be found on websites such as Niconico and YouTube. The archived official website also contains a flash animated introduction (in Japanese) narrated by Tsumami.
- Japanese Wikipedia page on くわがたツマミ. Retrieved 14 Aug '19
- Internet Archive listing of the official website dated May 2012. Retrieved 14 Aug '19
- Internet Archive listing of the official website dated November 2010. Retrieved 14 Aug '19
- Japanese news article on the closure of Soft Tank and Kuwagata Tsumami sites. Retrieved 07 Aug '19
- Kuwagata Tsumami on barekichi.blog24.fc2.com Retrieved 07 Aug '19