Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (lost production material of cancelled film adaptation of annual event; 2011)
The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is an annual event in New York City held by the department store Macy's every Thanksgiving. The Parade was introduced in 1924, and has been held for nearly a century. Meanwhile, a movie adaptation of the parade was considered at one point.
In early 2011, producers Scott Glassgold and Raymond Brothers of the company IAM Entertainment closed a deal for rights to develop a film centring on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. According to Glassgold, they were "aiming to make a four-quadrant, family-friendly film somewhere in that Night At The Museum and Elf sweet spot", and one of the ideas pitched for the movie involved having the parade's iconic balloons come to life. Macy's approved of the project, with marketing executive Martin Reardon and then-parade director Robin Hall overseeing development of the film. It's unknown if any companies were approached to license their characters who had been in the parade for use in the movie, likely as cameos.
It appears the film did not enter production, and only a single piece of concept art was created, showing a handler (possibly one of the film's main characters) struggling to hold onto the 1988 Snoopy balloon, implying the film took place between 1988-1995. No information regarding the status of the film has been released since its initial announcement, suggesting the project either went into development hell or was outright cancelled or abandoned.
- 1939 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (lost experimental NBC broadcast of parade; 1939)
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (partially found NBC broadcasts of parade; 1953-1980)
- 1982 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1982)
- 1989 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1989)
- 1998 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (found NBC broadcast of parade; 1998)
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (partially found widescreen versions of NBC broadcasts of parade; 2005-2011)
- Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular (partially found TV broadcasts of event; 1991-present)
- The Hollywood Reporter's article on the project. Retrieved 13 Apr '22