Sale Of The Century (lost NBC game show; 1969-1973)
Sale of the Century was an American quiz show that ran on NBC from September 29th, 1969 to July 13th, 1973. It was first hosted by Maverick actor Jack Kelly and then by former Chicago Cubs catcher Joe Garigiola. The show would be brought back two times in 1973 (two months after it's cancellation) and 1983. Although the later versions of the show exist in some compacity, the original run of the show has not been seen since it last aired.
Three contestants started with $25 each and get $5 for every correct but lose $5 for every wrong answer. At certain points in the game there would be attempts to persuade the contestant with the most money to buy a prize 10% or less than it's original value, sometimes another gift is added to the prize as an incentive. The winner could use his/her's tally they won in the game to but expensive prizes at cut rates or return the next day to try again.
No episodes have surfaced since their original airings and are most likely destroyed, lost or disposed of. The exact number of episodes that aired are unknown, some sources say around 1,000 episodes. Alot of those episodes can't be accounted for although the accounts of some episodes can be accounted for via press photos, leaked photos, audio recordings or photos used for merchandise (i.e. board games).
- The show's theme that was leaked in 2008. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- U.S. Game Shows Wiki page on the show that notes the other versions of the show can be viewable. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- Archived page from The Encyclopedia Of Daytime Television about the show's format. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- Game Show Central page noting that no episodes have surfaced. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- Classic TV Archive page on the show that lists a possible amount of episodes that were made. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- Getty Images page with press photos from an episode. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- Archival Television Audio page on 2 episodes in audio form. Retrieved 30 Jun '20
- ULCA Library page that lists nine archived episodes. Retrieved 30 Jun '20