The Adventure of Panda and Friends (lost English dub of anime film; 1990)
The Adventure of Panda and Friends, also known as Panda! Go, Panda!, is a Japanese anime short film directed by Isao Takahata and written by Hayao Miyazaki at TMS Entertainment. It was originally released theatrically in Japan in 1972. The film has been dubbed into English twice. Under the name, The Adventure of Panda and Friends, the film premiered in Canada on the Family Channel in June 1990. A second, more easily accessible Los Angeles-based production by Geneon Entertainment and Animaze was released as Panda! Go, Panda! in 2000. The latter has been the only dub of the film included on official home video releases.
The first known mention of the original dub came via the comments section of a 2018 Anime News Network feature on the life of director Isao Takahata, who had recently passed away. A user by the name of Candiswhite remarked having seen a version of the film starring Montreal-based actor Walter Massey as the father panda. The poster later added that their parents recorded The Adventure of Panda and Friends on VHS from a broadcast of the film on Family Channel in the 1980s. The poster would eventually dig out their home recording and transcribe the credits from the film. Candiswhite hasn't logged into the site since 2019.
The existence of this English dub is supported by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, which registered The Adventure of Panda and Friends as Canadian content on June 4, 1990. The runtime is listed as 40 minutes long and it was received a 50% time credit, implying it was a dubbed foreign production. Various newspaper listings suggest the film premiered on Family Channel in June 1990, with reruns airing throughout 1991 and into 1992.
The following information was shared by Candiswhite on Anime News Network:
Voice Direction & Adaptation: Arden Ryshpan
Voices: Julian Bailey, Eramelinda Boquer, Aimee Castle, Teddy Lee Dillon, Dean Hagopian, Terry Haig, A.J. Henderson, Liza Hull, Walter Massey, Kaia Scott, Jeremy Steinberg, Jane Woods
Studio Supervisor: Barbara Parker
Post Production Director: Claudine Carpenter
Post Production Assistant: Julie Pelletier
Voice Recording and Re-recording: Francois Deschamps
Sound Effects Supervisor: Rene Beaudry
Sound Effects: Steve Wener
Theme Song: Words- Arden Ryshpan & Music- Chris Crilly
Additional music: Chris Crilly
Video Editor: Michel Forbes / Assisted by Joey Vekteris
- Re: Isao Takahata: Endless Memories - "Sir! The maple-syrup in my blood demands satisfaction: Not only was the Animaze dub of Panda Go Panda treated as the sole one ("the English dub, produced decades later" ) but this then led to a slight on the honour of Canadian legend Walter Massey, who was erased from existence as Daddy (called so in his dub) Panda. THAT's the Papa I've known since I was very young." Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- Re: Isao Takahata: Endless Memories - "The Adventures of Panda and Friends. My parents taped it off of Family Channel (Canada) back in the 80's, Feature Presentation fireworks and all; Someone put the timer on the VCR, as there are a couple min. of the next program afterward, so I have every inch of the special. I actually went back and watched it the other day since I could find nothing by searching online. ( Ouch, internet.) The credits are unclear as to which company paid the bills (maybe the producer was independent?) but they are decent; The opening credits the important Japanese staff and the closing, the English. I know it's Canadian, at least as far as creative goes, because there are the voices of Canadian royalty; Kids of my era would've recognized those voices even when they had no clue what their names were." Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- Re: Isao Takahata: Endless Memories Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- List of Canadian programs certified by the Commission Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- The Kingston Whig Standard - June 2, 1990 Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- The Kingston Whig Standard - May 25, 1991 Retrieved Mar 23 '22.
- The Ottawa Citizen - March 28, 1992 Retrieved Mar 23 '22.