The Joey Bishop Show "Episode 85" (lost episode of sitcom; 1963)
The Joey Bishop Show was a sitcom show created by Joey Bishop that premiered on September 20th, 1961, and ended on March 30th, 1965. It was usually about Joey and his job. He also had problems with his family, who think he has more influence in Hollywood than he actually does. They try to take advantage of his "influence".
In Season 3, an episode was filmed that is simply called "#85". It guest starred impressionist and comedian Vaughn Meader. He became famous in the 1960s for his impersonation of then-president John F. Kennedy on his comedy album The First Family. Not much else from the episode is known.
Assassination of John F. Kennedy
On November 22nd, 1963, an exact week after the episode was filmed, then-president Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas, by Lee Harvey Oswald.  #85 was planned to air in February 1964, but after the news, it was pulled by NBC. JFK's assassination promptly put a quick end to Vaughn Meader's career, as all of the copies of The First Family were pulled off the shelves, as it was considered offensive due to the assassination. The Joey Bishop Show promptly went on hiatus for a few weeks until it returned in early 1964.
The tapes of #85 are said to have been destroyed by NBC after the assassination. As such, no copies of the episode are known to exist, no stills of the episode have surfaced and it may very well be lost forever.
As for Meader's album, after it was pulled, all unsold copies were destroyed. Not much was heard of it until it was released on CD in 1999. Meader could not find work after this, as he was too closely associated with Kennedy due to his album, and moved back to his hometown in Maine and performed music and managed a pub. Meader died on October 29th, 2004, at 68 years old.
- Terrace, Vincent. Encyclopedia of Television Shows, 1925 through 2010 (2 ed.). McFarland. p. 538. ISBN 0-786-46477-1. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- Newspaper article from 1963 on Meader's album. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- List of attempted or succeeded assassinations on presidents, including Kennedy. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- List of episodes from Season 3 of the show, including info on “episode 85”. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- Interview with Vaughn Meader. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- Article detailing Meader's death and his life. Retrieved 17 Jan '19
- Article talking about Meader's life after JFK and how he turned to drugs. Retrieved 17 Jan '19