Battle of the Planets: The New Exploits of G-Force (lost Gatchaman pilot dub; 2003)
Battle of the Planets: The New Exploits of G-Force (also known as Battle of the Planets: The New Adventures of G-Force) was a planned third English adaptation of Tatsunoko's 105-episode Science Ninja Team Gatchaman anime television series, by Sandy Frank Entertainment. In 2003, the company announced their intention to produce a new English-language version of the series that would mix elements of Battle of the Planets and G-Force: Guardians of Space, the two prior adaptations, to target a new generation of fans, for broadcast in 2004. Thanks to broadcaster disinterest due to the age of the footage, the project ultimately went unreleased, with ADV Films licensing Gatchaman for a faithful uncut English dub in May 2004.
Battle of the Planets: The New Exploits of G-Force was set to be a 52 episode series encompassing content from the first 85 episodes of Gatchaman, the 20 previously unlocalized ones, and new CG animation produced by JulesWorld (including 7-Zark-7). The series would have been recorded at Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada and would've featured a new score and script to help modernize the show and create a tone in-between the two prior adaptations.
The twenty-second episode of Gatchaman was adapted into a pilot called "The Sea Dragon." It received two forms: one that focused on adventure and action and another that focused on comedy. At the time, this rendition of the show was sold as Battle of the Planets: The New Adventures of G-Force. It featured the voice work of Scott Campbell, Michael Dobson, Richard Newman, Nicole Oliver, French Tickner and Sam Vincent. Trevor Devall was set to play Zoltar.
Other than the pilot's title card, which was shared in G-Force: Animated The Official Battle of the Planets Guidebook and some brief clips of the new animation produced by Julesworld, no footage of this pilot has ever surfaced.
- The Gutman - An early English dub of Gatchaman believed to have been produced by Tatsunoko in the 1970s/80s.
- G-Force: Guardians of Space - A 1985 English pilot dub of the series produced by Media360 Group of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. This version of the show was ultimately turned down for the Fred Ladd/Sparklin' Entertainment production of the same name.
- The Wikipedia page on Battle of the Planets, the first English Gatchaman adaptation produced by Sandy Frank Entertainment. Retrieved 31 May '17
- The Wikipedia page on G-Force: Guardians of Space, the second adaptation of the series produced for Sandy Frank Entertainment by Fred Ladd/Sparklin' Entertainment. Retrieved 31 May '17
- G-Force: Animated The Official Battle of the Planets Guidebook - Page 96
- Behind The Voice Actors page on Battle of the Planets. Retrieved 31 May '17.
- Anime News Network article on Anime Central, where it talks about the show's Gatchaman dub. Retrieved 31 May '17.
- Facebook photo album that has screenshots from the Gatchaman dub. Retrieved 31 May '17.
- Archived article on Battle of the Planets is returning to television. Archived 24 Feb 2003.
- Anime News Network article that has new series details for Battle of the Planets. Retrieved 31 May '17.
- Another Behind the Voice Actors post on Battle of the Planets. Retrieved 31 May '17.
- Untitled Document that contains info about the dub. Retrieved 31 May '17.