Doctor Who (lost pilot episodes of cancelled reboot of British sci-fi TV series; 1991)
On August 27th, 2013, the official Doctor Who YouTube channel uploaded a video called "The Other Eighth Doctor? - Doctor Who". The video goes into detail about an actor named David Burton who was asked to play the Doctor for two pilot episodes that would be later shown to the BBC.
This incarnation of the series would be about the Doctor and two assistants named Heart and Diamond who were twins. David Burton says in the interview that the feeling was that not a lot of people would remember the iconic police call box. So they decided to change the exterior of the Tardis to a red public phone box with blacked out windows.
David Burton also states there were at least two full episodes created before the whole idea was scrapped. He thinks that all remains of the pilot episodes were destroyed after it was axed.
It should be noted that there is debate over whether or not the pilots were actually produced. There is little recorded evidence of the pilots' production and existence beside's Burton's own word. Clearly the BBC did not produce it themselves, and instead hired another production company to make the pilots. However, there is no evidence the BBC ever commissioned anything of the sort. There is also little to no record of anyone besides Burton being involved with the production. It has been speculated that there are three possible solutions: 1. The pilots were real and very top secret, with all evidence being destroyed. 2. David Burton lied about the production, possibly to get a free car which was given to him as a "sponsorship" and continues to insist they are real in fear of getting in legal trouble. 3. David Burton was a part of an obscure fan production, and just misunderstood what he was a part of.
- Doctor Who (partially lost episodes of British science-fiction TV series; 1963-1974)
- The Doctor Who Years (found "Doctor Who" BBCi documentary series; 2005)
- Doctor Who - Journey into Time radio play (lost radio program pilot; 1966-1967)
- Planet of Giants "The Urge to Live" (lost unaired forth part episode of Doctor Who serial; 1964)
- Shada (found unfinished Doctor Who serial; 1979)
- Doctor Who: Worlds in Time (lost online MMORPG based on TV series; 2012-2014)
- Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child (lost unreleased BBC Audio & AudioGO audiobook; 2013-2014)
- A British magazine page on the cancelled David Burton pilot episodes. Retrieved 14 Dec '19