Epic Mickey 3 (lost production material for cancelled video game sequel; 2010s)
Epic Mickey is a video game franchise developed by Junction Point Studios and distributed by Disney Interactive Studios. The game stars Mickey Mouse traveling to the Wasteland, a land for all the forgotten Disney characters no one remembers with the power of both paint and thinner. The series was notable for having the first appearance of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Walt Disney's first big original character, as a major character since 1943 (along with the first time he ever appeared with Mickey Mouse).
The series had three games: Epic Mickey (released in 2010 only on the Wii), Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (released in 2012 on the Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, PlayStation Vita and Wii U) and the spin-off game - Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (released in 2012 on the Nintendo 3DS).
Cancelled Third Game
Epic Mickey creator Warren Spector said in an interview that he wanted to do a full trilogy for the game series:
"I don't do anything that isn't extensible. And I will certainly feel that I have not done my job if we can't make other games in this world with these characters. In my head, I've got two more planned."
Spector also confirmed in interviews that he had an idea for the story of the third major game in the Epic Mickey series, also stating that the small musical numbers that were in the second game were a just a test for an idea he had for the third game. The next game he would have been full of big, show-stopping musical numbers throughout the game, with the game possibly even being a legit musical. He also said that the game would have most likely been released for the next big wave of consoles that were about to come out during that time.
However, on January 29th, 2013, it was announced that Junction Point Studios was officially being closed down by the Walt Disney Company, officially cancelling the sequel and all other games that were in production at the studio. Later in 2015, Warren Spector responded to questions regarding some of the questions that fans had about what the game would have been like. He responded by saying this:
In Mickey 3 I wanted to really up the multiplayer action. What we did in Mickey 2 was pretty simple. I also wanted to make a truly interactive musical game. I have some weird ideas about how to use music and how to make music in the context of a game that no music-game has done yet.
Warren also stated that the third game would have left Wasteland.
- The Search for Mickey Mouse (unfinished Disney animated film; 2002)
- Short Subject aka "Mickey Mouse in Vietnam" (found unofficial animated short film; 1968)
- Mickey's Man Friday (partially found production material of unproduced remake; 1939-1941)
- Minnie Takes Care of Pluto (found original English audio of Mickey Mouse Works animated short; 2000)
- The Mouse Factory (partially found Disney live-action/animated TV series; 1972-1973)
- Walt Disney physical performance as Mickey Mouse (lost animation reference footage; late 1930s)
- Warren Spector interview about the plan of the series' future. Retrieved 12 Oct '18
- Warren Spector hinting at the third game. Retrieved 12 Oct '18
- Details about Epic Mickey 3 on the Reddit AMA (1/2). Retrieved 12 Oct '18
- Details about Epic Mickey 3 on the Reddit AMA (2/2). Retrieved 12 Oct '18